Hello from Springfield, IL!

Rachel Wilham

Location (City and/or State)
Central Illinois
My name is Rachel, and I have two redfoot tortoises! Dozer is my older tortoise, she is about 10 years old. We got Tank more recently, from a breeder and were told that he is about two years old. I came here for advice on how to give them the best care possible! I attached a pic of the habitat my dad made for them out of an old bookshelf they have a coconut fiber substrate that we found at the pet store, but we are thinking of changing that up because we were told it might not be the best for them20150702_163039.jpg . Anyone have advice?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
Your Redfoot will need to be kept at 80-86 degrees. They'll need a source of UVB and higher humidity than that open top and dry substrate can provide. (The one in the photo shows signs of too low humidity)
Also, that enclosure is pretty small. Are they both living in there?
Spray the area with water a couple of times a day and read up on Redfoot tortoise care.
You found the right place.

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
Welcome!
Your Redfoot will need to be kept at 80-86 degrees. They'll need a source of UVB and higher humidity than that open top and dry substrate can provide. (The one in the photo shows signs of too low humidity)
Also, that enclosure is pretty small. Are they both living in there?
Spray the area with water a couple of times a day and read up on Redfoot tortoise care.
You found the right place.
Thanks for the reply! How can you tell that she shows signs of low humidity? I used to spray her area a couple times a day to keep it humid, but stopped when my vet told me it isn't good for them. I thought it was really strange that she would tell me that since I've always been told they need a very humid environment. I will start doing that again though!
Yes, they both live in there. However, the one in the pic (Dozer) spends most of the day exploring the apartment (when we are home) and is really only in there at night most of the time. Tank is still pretty small so he doesn't get out as much.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The shell on the one in the photo has some bumpiness known as "Pyramidding". It's from the environment being too dry. Redfoot are warm, humid forest dwellers. Not cold, dry apartment dwellers. So we must try to duplicate things as best as we can.
I love my vet, too. But I could write a book with all of the wrong information that she has quoted me.
I'm no authority on these animals. Though I've kept them for many years, a lot of what I know, I learned right here.
It's very dangerous to let a tortoise roam around inside of your home on the floor. (Read the stories) And it's also not a great idea to keep two of any species together. even in a much larger enclosure than the one that you have now because one will bully the other. You might not even notice it. But it happens. You are lucky in the fact that Redfoot are some of the usually less hostile tortoises and actual fighting should be very uncommon.
So First off: Larger enclosure or two separate ones. And two: Get the humidity up.
(As long as they are both eating and acting O.K. you are O.K. for now)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Zeropilot gave you right on info about tortoises in pairs, humidity, too small enclosure and tortoises roaming the house, which is dangerous and too cold at floor level. Tortoises should also have an outdoor enclosure for warm weather. The one pictured could and should live outside 24/7 or at least in warm weather. Another good site for you to read is http://www.tortoiselibrary.com. Btw, hello and welcome.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Rach! Sweet of your dad to make the enclosure for you! Can your big foot get into the waterdish and fully soak? How moist is that substrate (bedding)?

You must have super clean and chemical free floors to let your tortoise run loose, among other things. Not something I could even dream of attempting here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel, and welcome to the Forum!

It's great that your dad is helping you by building the habitat, but I'm sorry to say, it's not even big enough for one tortoise, let alone two. Here's a link to a beautiful enclosure made by one of our members for just ONE redfooted tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

And, since you asked, I'll say something about your dishes too. This isn't quite as important for you, because your tortoise is bigger, but we've seen baby tortoises trying to climb out of those type dishes and end up tipping over backwards, landing upside down in the water and drowning. So, because of that danger, we recommend the clay plant saucers. The sides are sloped and the tortoise doesn't have to get into such a vertical position to climb out.

Here's another good read for you regarding redfooted tortoises - Tortoise Library

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
The shell on the one in the photo has some bumpiness known as "Pyramidding". It's from the environment being too dry. Redfoot are warm, humid forest dwellers. Not cold, dry apartment dwellers. So we must try to duplicate things as best as we can.
I love my vet, too. But I could write a book with all of the wrong information that she has quoted me.
I'm no authority on these animals. Though I've kept them for many years, a lot of what I know, I learned right here.
It's very dangerous to let a tortoise roam around inside of your home on the floor. (Read the stories) And it's also not a great idea to keep two of any species together. even in a much larger enclosure than the one that you have now because one will bully the other. You might not even notice it. But it happens. You are lucky in the fact that Redfoot are some of the usually less hostile tortoises and actual fighting should be very uncommon.
So First off: Larger enclosure or two separate ones. And two: Get the humidity up.
(As long as they are both eating and acting O.K. you are O.K. for now)
I always thought pyramidding was caused by diet (something else my vet told me!) Thanks for the info. I will work on starting a new enclosure. I thought this one would work for now because Tank is still pretty small so I didn't think he'd need as much room, but I don't want him to get bullied!!

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
Hi Rachel, and welcome to the Forum!

It's great that your dad is helping you by building the habitat, but I'm sorry to say, it's not even big enough for one tortoise, let alone two. Here's a link to a beautiful enclosure made by one of our members for just ONE redfooted tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

And, since you asked, I'll say something about your dishes too. This isn't quite as important for you, because your tortoise is bigger, but we've seen baby tortoises trying to climb out of those type dishes and end up tipping over backwards, landing upside down in the water and drowning. So, because of that danger, we recommend the clay plant saucers. The sides are sloped and the tortoise doesn't have to get into such a vertical position to climb out.

Here's another good read for you regarding redfooted tortoises - Tortoise Library
Thanks for the information! I am going to try to get a new enclosure going, the problem is I am a little limited on space. As for the water dish, that is something I've thought of, but I haven't seen him attempt to get in there at all but I would hate for that to happen so I'll find something more shallow for them. I'm learning so much from this forum already, so happy I found you guys!!

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
Hi Rach! Sweet of your dad to make the enclosure for you! Can your big foot get into the waterdish and fully soak? How moist is that substrate (bedding)?

You must have super clean and chemical free floors to let your tortoise run loose, among other things. Not something I could even dream of attempting here.
Hello :)
The dish isn't big enough for her to soak, I put it in there for them to drink from. I have started soaking them in warm water daily to keep them hydrated and I have seen huge improvements in Dozer's skin from doing that!
The substrate is a coconut fiber that is advertised to be used for redfoots, but it is not very moist, so maybe it isn't the best. What kind do you use for yours?
My apartment stays clean and I don't use chemicals to clean my floors

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
Zeropilot gave you right on info about tortoises in pairs, humidity, too small enclosure and tortoises roaming the house, which is dangerous and too cold at floor level. Tortoises should also have an outdoor enclosure for warm weather. The one pictured could and should live outside 24/7 or at least in warm weather. Another good site for you to read is http://www.tortoiselibrary.com. Btw, hello and welcome.
I wish I could have her outside 24/7, but I live in central IL and it's already starting to get cold outside :(
I also don't have a fenced in yard, but we spend a lot of time outside in the spring and summer and they absolutely love it.
Thanks for the info!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Rachel, my tort has to live indoors too as it is too cold here in the UK but with a good source of UVB from a mercury vapour bulb by day, and a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat at night we manage. My tort has a whole room to himself as they need exercise so also has a radiator on 24/7. It has rubber flooring so is quite cosy in there. In the rest of my house the floors are too cold for him wander about though and as clean as I keep them,dust bunnies and other small stray objects are inevitable.
When you spray substrate a lot of the moisture is lost to evaporation before it hits the substrate so some people make holes in corners and pour the water in so that surface stays dry but the substrate beneath is moist and keeps the humidity up. You need a lining to stop the wood going mouldy to do this. Some sort of cover over the table (plexiglass/plastic etc) will help contain heat and humidity too. have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what others do. A general enclosure size guide given for a smallish tort is 4 x 8.
if you can follow all the good advice given by others above and on the caresheets you should have happy healthy torts for the rest of your life!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hello :)
The dish isn't big enough for her to soak, I put it in there for them to drink from. I have started soaking them in warm water daily to keep them hydrated and I have seen huge improvements in Dozer's skin from doing that!
The substrate is a coconut fiber that is advertised to be used for redfoots, but it is not very moist, so maybe it isn't the best. What kind do you use for yours?
My apartment stays clean and I don't use chemicals to clean my floors

Are you adding water to it and mixing it up?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You may be able to try for a double decker with a ramp. That way more tortoise useability with the same amount of floor space. Would atleast work for the smaller one.