Hello From SW Virginia!

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hi all,

My name is Aaron and I have been a long-time lurker on this forum. I recently graduated from university and am in the Virginia area but I am originally from the good ol' Pacific Northwest in Washington State. I also LOVE tortoises and most herps and I spent a lot of my undergraduate work doing salamander research in the Blue Ridge Mountains which also has a ton of Eastern Box Turtles!

I am big supporter of the US captive breeding program and I am finally looking to have my own tortoise once again! I had a Russian Tortoise named Soldier (pictured in my icon) for 5 years before I one day lost him--to what I think was a bird of prey?? Long story short, I left my tortoise unwatched for a bit too long and I think something took him. I was crushed. That was my senior year of high school and I have since moved to Virginia and done some growing up.

I am now looking to adopt a red-footed tortoise and just wanted to say hello, great to meet y'all.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Howdy Aaron from the PNW. We're going into our second year of drought here. Welcome to more than lurking.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry to have heard about your tort. How on earth did that happen? I presume the enclosure was an outdoors on, OR your tort might've been roaming around outside. Take care: torts are not able to protect themselves. All they do is tuck in their heads and legs.

I live in a flat and whenever it's sunny, I take out my beloved Greek tort for a 'walk.' I follow it STEP BY STEP from children. You cannot imagine how much PATIENCE is needed here. But at the same time I think: 'Even the poor little pet has the right to see the SUN, and have some FUN.'

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Aaron and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Lots of fellow lurkers here.
Lurk, lurk.
Good luck with your preparations and in getting your new family member.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Aaron!

destortoise

VA and WA
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry to have heard about your tort. How on earth did that happen? I presume the enclosure was an outdoors on, OR your tort might've been roaming around outside. Take care: torts are not able to protect themselves. All they do is tuck in their heads and legs.

I live in a flat and whenever it's sunny, I take out my beloved Greek tort for a 'walk.' I follow it STEP BY STEP from children. You cannot imagine how much PATIENCE is needed here. But at the same time I think: 'Even the poor little pet has the right to see the SUN, and have some FUN.'

Hi Gillian--Thanks for your words. I had an outdoor enclosure for him but never bothered to get him a cover because I lived in a relatively fenced off and suburban area. My backyard wasn't large and I figured I wouldn't need a mesh or screen cover but it turns out I really did. Always keep your torts safe :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian--Thanks for your words. I had an outdoor enclosure for him but never bothered to get him a cover because I lived in a relatively fenced off and suburban area. My backyard wasn't large and I figured I wouldn't need a mesh or screen cover but it turns out I really did. Always keep your torts safe :(
Believe me torts are....unpredictable, and can be extremely naughty. So take care, and good luck to you and your tort.