Hello! Got my first baby tort!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Does @Tom Do redfoots? I can't remember, either way if he chimes in take his word like its the tortoise Bible lol. He knows his stuff and has been doing it for like 30 years
Thanks for the kind words, but I don't keep RFs. My climate is too hot and dry for them. I prefer to let RF keepers give specific advice on their care and temperatures.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome!

Here are 2 more threads that should help you, along with the ones that were already posted. If you follow what they say, your baby will have the best chance to grow up and live a long healthy life. Please read them, compare your setup, and then come back with any questions. We're happy to explain why we do things the way we do.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just got my first tortoise yesterday.... it came on the mail, I bought off morphmarket Nd I did not realize how small or young it was!!!! It I'd a hatchling red foot tortoise! Soooo small! Well it was born March 2020.... so ots a little over a month old. Its smaller than my palm and I have very small hands. Anyway after a lot of research before I bought it I had decided on a mixture of top soil and play sand for the substrate.... if this a good idea? Si ce the tortilla is so small I'm worried about it ingesting dirt... especially since the mixture of course is dirty so it gets on everything. Also.... any special care I should keep in mind with a hatchling? I also have read up on diet but does anyone know of links that would help me follow the best or most ideal diet plan for this little one? I want him or her to grow the best I can.... i feel like i should be found a more established baby or young tortoise rather than a hatchling but it's too late now and i must make sure its cated for the best i can! Thanks a lot and cant wait to chat with people!
P.s. I've always wanted a tortoise, it is my dream pet and we named it tortellini!View attachment 292789View attachment 292790
Welcome and congrats on your new baby. The main thing you want to worry about right now is keeping him humid. You want to aim for 80%+. It's easiest done with an enclosed enclosure. The first year or so is crucial for smooth growth. I keep my enclosures at 84-86F thru out the entire enclosure, day and night. No need for microclimates or a basking spot. One thing I will suggest is to ditch the Mercury Vapor Bulb. They're too bright and dessicating. Redfoots don't like bright light. Get a fluorescent tube UVB. Or If it's possible for you to get your tort out in natural sunlight just a few hours a week you don't even need a uvb bulb indoors. You could just use a regular incandescent bulb. For substrate I'd recommend either Cypress mulch or Orchid bark. For diet there is no real set schedule you'll have to follow. Just make sure your offering a wide variety of foods. Try not to feed the same thing every day and switch it up. Redfoots are easy when it comes to diet. They can eat so many things other torts can't. Some of the things I feed are Romaine, kale, mustard/turnip greens, dandelion greens and flowers, escarole, collards, chard, arugula, bok choy, strawberries, blueberries, mango, watermelon, cantaloupe, papaya, bananas, squash, cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, etc. For protein I use Earthworms, chicken, shrimp, tuna , sardines, and some times low fat cat food. You'll want to feed protein about once a week. Also make sure your soak your tort daily for at least the first few months.

Maine
Welcome and congrats on your new baby. The main thing you want to worry about right now is keeping him humid. You want to aim for 80%+. It's easiest done with an enclosed enclosure. The first year or so is crucial for smooth growth. I keep my enclosures at 84-86F thru out the entire enclosure, day and night. No need for microclimates or a basking spot. One thing I will suggest is to ditch the Mercury Vapor Bulb. They're too bright and dessicating. Redfoots don't like bright light. Get a fluorescent tube UVB. Or If it's possible for you to get your tort out in natural sunlight just a few hours a week you don't even need a uvb bulb indoors. You could just use a regular incandescent bulb. For substrate I'd recommend either Cypress mulch or Orchid bark. For diet there is no real set schedule you'll have to follow. Just make sure your offering a wide variety of foods. Try not to feed the same thing every day and switch it up. Redfoots are easy when it comes to diet. They can eat so many things other torts can't. Some of the things I feed are Romaine, kale, mustard/turnip greens, dandelion greens and flowers, escarole, collards, chard, arugula, bok choy, strawberries, blueberries, mango, watermelon, cantaloupe, papaya, bananas, squash, cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, etc. For protein I use Earthworms, chicken, shrimp, tuna , sardines, and some times low fat cat food. You'll want to feed protein about once a week. Also make sure your soak your tort daily for at least the first few months.
Wow thank you. You actually make it sound A LOT easier than what I thought. Thank you! I appreciate it! Do you know any good places to get orchid or cypress bark/mulch? I'm limited on places to get things. Thanks a lot tho!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Wow thank you. You actually make it sound A LOT easier than what I thought. Thank you! I appreciate it! Do you know any good places to get orchid or cypress bark/mulch? I'm limited on places to get things. Thanks a lot tho!
I'm not sure if it's available in Maine but here they sell it at the home Depot or Lowe's usually. In the lawn and garden area. This is the Cypress mulch I get8d9f76fd-a928-493f-b6f8-3bfc64f612cf_1.49fa5d83e4e1e47f29bd53ff3cc90c58.jpeg
This is the Orchid bark.better-gro-organic-potting-soil-50190-64_1000.jpg The deeper your substrate the more it will hold humidity. I do about 4-5"

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
If you can't find it at lowes or home depot try calling around to your local plant nurseries as well. Thats where I found mine. Just make sure its 100% whichever you choose ?

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I just got my first tortoise yesterday.... it came on the mail, I bought off morphmarket Nd I did not realize how small or young it was!!!! It I'd a hatchling red foot tortoise! Soooo small! Well it was born March 2020.... so ots a little over a month old. Its smaller than my palm and I have very small hands. Anyway after a lot of research before I bought it I had decided on a mixture of top soil and play sand for the substrate.... if this a good idea? Si ce the tortilla is so small I'm worried about it ingesting dirt... especially since the mixture of course is dirty so it gets on everything. Also.... any special care I should keep in mind with a hatchling? I also have read up on diet but does anyone know of links that would help me follow the best or most ideal diet plan for this little one? I want him or her to grow the best I can.... i feel like i should be found a more established baby or young tortoise rather than a hatchling but it's too late now and i must make sure its cated for the best i can! Thanks a lot and cant wait to chat with people!
P.s. I've always wanted a tortoise, it is my dream pet and we named it tortellini!View attachment 292789View attachment 292790
Beautiful baby!

Glenda Loth

5 Year Member
Good luck!
I live in Florida and I have a red foot. Sheldon had been in my family for about ten years. He lives outside in a pen with a wire top I can close to keep him safe from big birds and raccoons. He loves a fine mist from the water hose and he often gets a water soak. When the weather gets too cool I bring him inside but back out as soon as it’s sunny again. He’s a lovely boy and is friendly and seems to be happy. His pen is made from the four foot gardening kits you get at plant nurseries. I have two sets side by side so he has room to forage. I put plants that he likes inside Some in pots and some I plant. I let the plants in the pots get lots of foliage then I lay rhem on their side for Sheldon. I feed him a variety of food and I always check with the internet before I give introduce him to something new. The tortoise food Mazuri is the best I’ve found and I use that about once a week. It’s the only tort food Sheldon likes and it has lots of good things in it for torts. I use cypress mulch for my tortoise and it does fine. You little one is adorable. Redfoots tend to be friendly. Sheldon comes out when he hears my voice. Am sure he relates me to food but I like to think he just knows me. Lol. Good luck with your little one. You will really enjoy him.

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
Greetings and Welcome! Lovely ltl one.

I have 2RF here in NW Pa. They came to me at 2 and 5 yrs old with definite pyramiding due to not having the proper humidity when they were babies, almost a decade ago.

The most often given and most needful help to follow is solid humidity 80% or better never less, 80*f or better but not more than 100*f, and keep your substrata(bedding) almost as humid as the air. Getting digital indoor/outdoor thermometers with probes are most essential for controlling this well, a temp gun is also heartily recommended. The new wifi controlled programmable power strips/plugs are fantastic to monitor environment even remotely but not for the faint of budget(they are getting more reasonable though).

Then come the these things are very good for their growth - uvb supply - no coiled bulbs ever, warm sunlight is best; a wide variety of yummys with a smidge of calcium (ours share much of the same diet as my daughter who is gluten intolerant); little places to hide and daily warm (never less than their habitat temps) soaks. Plain terracotta saucers work best for food and water (easy in - easy out, and strolling through the food or water dish is always a favorite pass time).

My RF like to "Bask" under the the leaves and branches of various plants rather than in direct light with the exception of when in their puddle bin above which is below a low 70W basking and a plant light. And while I do have 2 together this is Not the norm, roommates are not generally a good idea - creative habitat layouts are much more engaging as your darling gets more inquisitive toddler-ish and less infant.

Best of luck, and many happy years!

Maine
I live in Florida and I have a red foot. Sheldon had been in my family for about ten years. He lives outside in a pen with a wire top I can close to keep him safe from big birds and raccoons. He loves a fine mist from the water hose and he often gets a water soak. When the weather gets too cool I bring him inside but back out as soon as it’s sunny again. He’s a lovely boy and is friendly and seems to be happy. His pen is made from the four foot gardening kits you get at plant nurseries. I have two sets side by side so he has room to forage. I put plants that he likes inside Some in pots and some I plant. I let the plants in the pots get lots of foliage then I lay rhem on their side for Sheldon. I feed him a variety of food and I always check with the internet before I give introduce him to something new. The tortoise food Mazuri is the best I’ve found and I use that about once a week. It’s the only tort food Sheldon likes and it has lots of good things in it for torts. I use cypress mulch for my tortoise and it does fine. You little one is adorable. Redfoots tend to be friendly. Sheldon comes out when he hears my voice. Am sure he relates me to food but I like to think he just knows me. Lol. Good luck with your little one. You will really enjoy him.
Yes I switched from soul to cypress mulch. Much cleaner but I need to mist/spray it down more. My baby seems like it's already getting used to.me... or possibly recognizes me somwhat... ots pretty cool. I feed it from my hand sometimes just because its sooo small so it's hard to cut pieces small enough lol... so I let it take bites off thin slivers I hold out for it. I brought it outside for the first time yesterday
.. seemed to have fun wondering around... nibbeled grass and a dandelion green.

One question... I wanted to know the best way to keep humidity up. Ots so hard. I ordered a wooden tortoise house and a reptile fogger.
Thanks for input!

Maine
Greetings and Welcome! Lovely ltl one.

I have 2RF here in NW Pa. They came to me at 2 and 5 yrs old with definite pyramiding due to not having the proper humidity when they were babies, almost a decade ago.

The most often given and most needful help to follow is solid humidity 80% or better never less, 80*f or better but not more than 100*f, and keep your substrata(bedding) almost as humid as the air. Getting digital indoor/outdoor thermometers with probes are most essential for controlling this well, a temp gun is also heartily recommended. The new wifi controlled programmable power strips/plugs are fantastic to monitor environment even remotely but not for the faint of budget(they are getting more reasonable though).

Then come the these things are very good for their growth - uvb supply - no coiled bulbs ever, warm sunlight is best; a wide variety of yummys with a smidge of calcium (ours share much of the same diet as my daughter who is gluten intolerant); little places to hide and daily warm (never less than their habitat temps) soaks. Plain terracotta saucers work best for food and water (easy in - easy out, and strolling through the food or water dish is always a favorite pass time).

My RF like to "Bask" under the the leaves and branches of various plants rather than in direct light with the exception of when in their puddle bin above which is below a low 70W basking and a plant light. And while I do have 2 together this is Not the norm, roommates are not generally a good idea - creative habitat layouts are much more engaging as your darling gets more inquisitive toddler-ish and less infant.

Best of luck, and many happy years!
Yeah I saw my baby going in and out of the water bowl the other night... it was so cute lol. One day I saw my tort wag its tail. Is that out of irritation or happiness I wonder. But anyway thanks for the input. I'm trying to keep everything where their suppose to be and I think I'm doing well. But I have to spray and mist down its house very often. I wish I knew a better way to keep it humid longer. I just ordered an actual tortoise hljse/box and a fogger machine.
Thanks

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
Yeah I saw my baby going in and out of the water bowl the other night... it was so cute lol. One day I saw my tort wag its tail. Is that out of irritation or happiness I wonder. But anyway thanks for the input. I'm trying to keep everything where their suppose to be and I think I'm doing well. But I have to spray and mist down its house very often. I wish I knew a better way to keep it humid longer. I just ordered an actual tortoise hljse/box and a fogger machine.
Thanks

Fogger machines are better for lizards and frogs.

When I had trouble keeping the habitat up to temp and humidity I suspended a clear table cloth cover over the lamps and habitat as a whole tent, now I have 2 greenhouse covers inside a table the size of a full bed.

A lot of baby keepers just use very large covered tubs (30qts or larger) they cut holes into the tops for the heat and light sources to be hung through or just above (then covered or sealed to the top carefully (silicon heat mat or tinfoil insulation) to avoid melting.
If you keep the substrata very damp under the top layer it keeps the rest of the habitat moist by nature, always like it just rained. Misting or fogging does not permiate deep enough to hold constant humidity.

Maine
Fogger machines are better for lizards and frogs.

When I had trouble keeping the habitat up to temp and humidity I suspended a clear table cloth cover over the lamps and habitat as a whole tent, now I have 2 greenhouse covers inside a table the size of a full bed.

A lot of baby keepers just use very large covered tubs (30qts or larger) they cut holes into the tops for the heat and light sources to be hung through or just above (then covered or sealed to the top carefully (silicon heat mat or tinfoil insulation) to avoid melting.
If you keep the substrata very damp under the top layer it keeps the rest of the habitat moist by nature, always like it just rained. Misting or fogging does not permiate deep enough to hold constant humidity.
I dump water even and wet underneath it just seems to dry out pretty quickly. But at night when I put the cover on the tub it's currently in.. the humidity stays up. But during the day it's a constant battle. So I should look for a different kind of top maybe. A see through non melting kind then lol
Thanks

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just fit the domes on the elcousre and cut a hole just slightly smaller than their diameter. Line the edge with Aluminum Foil and set them down. I use a metal duct tape, but a good duct tape should work to keep them from moving. This allow you to keep the lid on a maintain an real closed chamber. Also when you add water to the substrate make sure it is hot( but not near your RFT). High heat and moiture make for excellent humidity.
IMG_1148 (2).jpeg

Happytort27

CA
Just fit the domes on the elcousre and cut a hole just slightly smaller than their diameter. Line the edge with Aluminum Foil and set them down. I use a metal duct tape, but a good duct tape should work to keep them from moving. This allow you to keep the lid on a maintain an real closed chamber. Also when you add water to the substrate make sure it is hot( but not near your RFT). High heat and moiture make for excellent humidity.
View attachment 293383
I use this method and it’s a great way to keep the humidity up!

Maine
View attachment 293383
Oh awesome. Thank you... this helps a lot.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh awesome. Thank you... this helps a lot.
You could also substitute a radiant heat panel for a CHE. You could screw it directly into the top and avoid the aluminum foil because it only gets warm on one side and not hot enough to burn.

Maine
You could also substitute a radiant heat panel for a CHE. You could screw it directly into the top and avoid the aluminum foil because it only gets warm on one side and not hot enough to burn.

Would this method work good for when my baby graduated to its tortoise table? I'm so glad I found this site. Im.not clever or creative lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Would this method work good for when my baby graduated to its tortoise table? I'm so glad I found this site. Im.not clever or creative lol
Yes, I would just get a bigger wattage one now and set it on a thermostat. That way if you upgrade to a bigger enclosure you won't have to upgrade your heat panel. They don't heat the air around them like a CHE they heat the objects around them which in turn raises the ambient temperature. I got mine from @Kapidolo Farms