Hello i am a new owner of a russian tort :) and love it to bits!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
Hello guys,
I have recently rescued a Russian tort from a home were it was keeped in a very small fish tank and was badly bit by a dog :( I have never have one of these amazing animals so just need a few tips on how to care for it ect thNk you all hope some one has some info for me and my little best friend

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisle Illinois
garon said:
Hello guys,
I have recently rescued a Russian tort from a home were it was keeped in a very small fish tank and was badly bit by a dog :( I have never have one of these amazing animals so just need a few tips on how to care for it ect thNk you all hope some one has some info for me and my little best friend

Invest your time to cross reference any info you find or advice you get. Just because someone says he or she is an expert or even some exotic animal vets or a veteran members of this tortoiseforum.org doesn't mean their advice, info or instructions are best for your traumatized Russian tortoise situation. If your careless and don't do the work you won't get good results.

I have been to the University of "Hard Knocks", negative experiences, making mistakes and it is of my "opinion" that aquariums are not acceptable for a tortoise in any situation and that a tortoise, your tortoise should never be in any contact with any other animals, including different species of tortoise, or Russian tortoises that are not properly quarantined.

Everyone has an opinion but the life of your Russian tortoise is now your responsibility. If this task is beyond your ability and time to give, then the best solution may be for you to re-home it to someone who has.

Accept him as he is and as his species God designed to be is. Be very patient with this little fellow and he will blossom back.

GOOD nutrition, proper hydration, proper temperature gradients, good ventilation, plenty of space (large tortoise table or in warm climates an outdoor enclosure), research those things and don't let him walk around on the cold floor. You can rebuild him, just like the 6 million dollar man hehehe

Best wishes and good luck :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tia, and welcome to the Forum!

Horsefield's tortoises are very hardy. Once you start giving this tortoise the proper care and habitat, it will be just fine. I know you're going to enjoy having her.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Weird pic huh, it's a 2 headed Russian tortoise found in Ukraine this year, wonder if Chernobyl had something to do with it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcme.:) any info or help you may need can be found on this forum. I personally, would be very careful of info outside this forum. I have had to learn from experience, of finding bad/wrong info for raising my leopard, until I found this forum. Good luck with the poor guy. Sure you will do very well by him and glad he stole your heart:D

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello, amd welcome to the forum!

U can start reading the caresheet and try to do it to the tort..

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! I have 8 Russians currently, some of them for many years, they are a great species to work with.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hello and welcome. Another RT owner!!! They seem to be everyone's fave now :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I hope you enjoy your new Russian. How bad was the damage done by the dog? Has it healed or is it still a fresh injury?

MyrnaBren

5 Year Member
New Hampshire USA
Congratulations, sounds like your Russian won the lottery that day! It must have been hard to leave the others behind. Welcome, I'm brand new here as well with my own little RT rescue. Looks like we've got plenty of experienced people here to help us help these little guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.