new russian owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

priscillamatos

5 Year Member
Hi over the last year i have rescued a few animals i have six hermit crabs one red eared slider a mini lop bunny a beareded dragon two beta fish and the newest member is a russian tortoise. leo is very under wieght and i dont know much about making sure he is happy i just ordered him the tortoise palace. I want to give all my animals good lives and would love to learn from others experiences !!!!!!! Any info can and will be helpful thanks:rolleyes::tort::rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi pricillamatos:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I don't think those manufactured tortoise-keepers are big enough. They are fine for a hatchling, but for a full grown russian tortoise, no. Your best bet to make this rescue healthy and happy is to make him an outdoor habitat where he has a lot of room to roam and where there is plenty of graze. They eat broad-leaf weeds and plants.

If you absolutely have to have a tortoise in the house, then you need the very biggest habitat you can get...and the Tortoise Palace doesn't fit that bill.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :) Pictures of your tort and his enclosure will help us to help you :)

I suggest you start by reading Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread. there is lots of useful information in there for you.

Your tort needs lots of space, heat (see Tom's thread point 6), light, shelter (Point 7), food (points 11 and 12) and water.

If kept indoors, your tort needs lighting on for 12-14 hours a day to simulate bright sunlight. UVB is necessary for calcium absorption and should also be on for 12-14 hours a day. A combined MVB bulb can do both these, or you can use separates.

Beware! Russians are brilliant climbers, diggers and all round escape artists! make sure your enclosure, indoors or out, is secure!

Your Russian is very likely a little dehydrated after you bought him. It is important to soak him daily while he adjusts to his new surroundings.

Establishing a routine will help your new friend adapt to his surroundings and settle down more quickly. Some torts love baths, some hate them. The anti-brigade can usually be encouraged to relax and enjoy. Establishing a routine where the same things happen at the same time each day helps to reduce stress.

I suggest the morning goes something like: lights on, heat on, soak, feed...

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

Status
Not open for further replies.