Hello - I'm a newbie from Arkansas with 1 Leopard Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmesa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Just saying 'hello'. Hello - I'm a newbie from Arkansas with 1 Leopard Tort.

Any insights into the Leopard Tortoise personality?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Redmesa:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

We all have different opinions on that. My leopards are pretty rocks, but Neal's leopards have personality. So I guess it just all depends upon each individual tortoise.

Redmesa

5 Year Member
Arkansas
You can call me "Red" if you'd like.

I just got a hatchling - he seems to have a personality but I'm new to all this... He DOES want to escape his turtle box. Any advice?

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME:D. My 11 mo. Has a great personality, all though a little lazy too:D if you haven't already, please read the threads at the bottom of my post. Great reading.

Redmesa

5 Year Member
Arkansas
Which species would you say has the most personable personality?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He Red:

Go back over your husbandry and be sure everything is ok in there. If he can see through the glass walls, you may have to wrap it with paper so he can't see out. Make sure its not too hot for him. Does he have plenty of hiding spots, water, food? Is there an area where he can get cool away from the light? There are many things that make a tortoise try to get out of his habitat. It is unusual for a hatchling to do anything other than eat and hide, so something must be wrong with the way he is housed.

Redmesa

5 Year Member
Arkansas
I am hoping that the high humidity in Arkansas will help. I have lots of orchid and leaf mulch. I really want to provide as much good animal husbandry as I can. I believe in only keeping animals if it can be done correctly.

I appreciate all of this info - very useful! I think I will buy an electronic Temp/Humidity display unit liek the one posted in your post.

He is in a small [2' x 2'] enclosure right now but I am moving him into a spacious turtoise table tomorrow. I think he was attacted to the window - brighter lights. But he does have a cave to hide in and temperatyure variations. I hope he will settle down. He just started trying to climb out of his home today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Of all the tortoises species I have seen, I have to say that over all, sulcatas are the most personable. I have seen a few really personable CA desert tortoises. Russians can be fearless little buggers and I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I am told that hermanns tortoises are very personable too. Red foot keepers think red footed tortoises are great in the personality department and finally, the South African Leopard tortoise adults that I have been around behave much like a sulcata.

All of this is very subjective, and the opinions of other will likely vary.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Redmesa said:
Any insights into the Leopard Tortoise personality?

My experience has been that leopards are comparable to a mature dog. Depending on how you handle them when they are young, and how interactive you are with the tortoises, they can be quite personable. All of mine recognize me as the food giver, so they follow me around wherever I go in their pens. I physically examine them frequently, so they are used to being handled. I can even pet their heads and arms while they sit still. They're a bit more mild mannered than a sulcata, for example. They're not as prone to digging up your yard or fighting with each other. But in the right conditions, leopards will be aggressive towards each other.

Welcome to the forum.

Redmesa

5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thank You, Neal, for the response. That is good to hear that L.T.'s can be like mature dogs.

I have put Lukas (that's my leo tort's name) into his Tortoise House and he seems happier - he is eating and exlploring but he still wants t escape. I have a UVB light and it is warm and he is eating and has access to a water... So I wonder if any of you have had a leo baby tort who wants to climb?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Redmesa said:
You can call me "Red" if you'd like.

I just got a hatchling - he seems to have a personality but I'm new to all this... He DOES want to escape his turtle box. Any advice?

Thanks.

Is he in a glass or see-through enclosure ??

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello to you as well and welcome to TFO:D I have a sulcata myself, so I don't have any insights on the leos personality

Status
Not open for further replies.