Hello. I'm new here and i believe i have a very sick tortoise.

MIKEC928

The soaking has seem to help some. she's at least trying to be mobile and has scooted herself across the room compared to sitting in the same spot for the first few days. depending on what Yvonne says about the x-rays will depend on what happens next. if she's as critical as yall say she is Yvonne will be first in line to have her even if it means a trip to Cali for us otherwise I will find a rescue or and individual closer to adopt her.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Oh, now that makes sense. Can Mike get the tort to a rescue asap? She needs critical care now. I look at that tort's sick face, and my heart breaks. Baby Runt was in that same situation about 2 years ago. She survived, but she spent 2 weeks in the hospital and the medicine that was being feed to her took about 3 weeks to take effect. Fortunately for her, the treatment worked and the blockage cleared out. The cost was nearly 2k.
Was it medicine to break up a bladder or kidney stone? I would like to know if there is an alternative to surgery in situations like this. In humans they sometimes use ultrasound to break up stones so they are small enough to pass. I wonder if that has ever been tried in tortoises.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Was it medicine to break up a bladder or kidney stone? I would like to know if there is an alternative to surgery in situations like this. In humans they sometimes use ultrasound to break up stones so they are small enough to pass. I wonder if that has ever been tried in tortoises.
When Baby Runt went to the Univ. Of Florida Vet. Hosp. in critical condition, she was compacted. She wasn't eating, drinking, pooping, or urinating. She would hardly move. They did an MRI and found her intestines were a bunch of twists and bottlenecks. She couldn't pass fecal matter. She didn't have a stone, but if it were just a stone, unless it was so large that it interfered with bowel movement, she wouldn't have been so critical. I had asked about using a sonic method to break up the blockage, but instead, they put in a feeding tube, was fed Colyte solution 4000ML, and metronidazole 250 MG. What that did was keep her electrolytes up and it would cause the intestines to contract. In a sense, it would force the fecal matter down the intestines and expel it. After about three weeks, it worked! She's been fine ever since. I sometimes give her the medicine and crush the pill into her food when she's a bit constipated. As far as the stone goes, it has crossed my mind with my larger tort who does have a stone, although he has his lived with it. I'm waiting until I have a little more money to have him evaluated at the vet hosp. One of the things I'll be asking is the pulsating method to try and break up the stone. If that doesn't work, I may have to seek surgery, although I've been fighting it for a long time now.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
When Baby Runt went to the Univ. Of Florida Vet. Hosp. in critical condition, she was compacted. She wasn't eating, drinking, pooping, or urinating. She would hardly move. They did an MRI and found her intestines were a bunch of twists and bottlenecks. She couldn't pass fecal matter. She didn't have a stone, but if it were just a stone, unless it was so large that it interfered with bowel movement, she wouldn't have been so critical. I had asked about using a sonic method to break up the blockage, but instead, they put in a feeding tube, was fed Colyte solution 4000ML, and metronidazole 250 MG. What that did was keep her electrolytes up and it would cause the intestines to contract. In a sense, it would force the fecal matter down the intestines and expel it. After about three weeks, it worked! She's been fine ever since. I sometimes give her the medicine and crush the pill into her food when she's a bit constipated. As far as the stone goes, it has crossed my mind with my larger tort who does have a stone, although he has his lived with it. I'm waiting until I have a little more money to have him evaluated at the vet hosp. One of the things I'll be asking is the pulsating method to try and break up the stone. If that doesn't work, I may have to seek surgery, although I've been fighting it for a long time now.
Thank you. I'm so worried Charlie will develop a stone. He has no symptoms but he is the age at which so many of them seem to have this problem. I'm hoping you'll discover a treatment that doesn't require surgery.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you. I'm so worried Charlie will develop a stone. He has no symptoms but he is the age at which so many of them seem to have this problem. I'm hoping you'll discover a treatment that doesn't require surgery.
Just make sure you soak him often, and keep greens that can produce urates away from his diet. He should be fine. If you see urates that are gritty, it means he's a bit dehydrated and needs more soaks for longer periods of time.

MIKEC928

Yvonne did you get the x-rays yet? Tortoise is improving with the soaks and even pooped today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope. Haven't heard a word from them. I looked them up online to see if I could find their web site or email address, but they don't have one. I found them on facebook, but no email address shown

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I do want to know the updated situation so i am leaving post here.
Hope everything will be alright. cross finger

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for trying so hard for that little tortoise, who needs all the help she can get! Very very best of luck to you and her.
Coconut water is good, it's like pedialyte and great for treating dehydration.
Just keep making sure her humidity is good and she is secure and warm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I finally received the x-rays. It looks more like impaction to me rather than stone. But let's send a shout out to our vets @exoticsdr @Ferretinmyshoes @deadheadvet
I've also sent the pictures to my vet, but she's out on calls and probably won't get my email until this evening.

x-ray michael a.JPG x-ray michael b.JPG x-ray michael c.JPG

Last edited:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
possible sand impaction. If the tortoise isn't eating, likely will need a feeding tube to get it hydrated and the hope the impaction will pass.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I just need to learn more about xray. Can't see what and why. Where is the sand impaction located? That white circle at the right is not stone then?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just need to learn more about xray. Can't see what and why. Where is the sand impaction located? That white circle at the right is not stone then?

If you look closely, the circle at the right of the picture is composed of many little pieces, not a solid mass like a bladder stone would be. That mass is in the area where one usually sees bladder stones though. I'm not familiar with tortoise anatomy, so I'm not sure what the other mass on the left side is.

Michael: Does the tortoise eat at all? If you can hollow out a strawberry you can then inject a bit of mineral oil into it and hand feed this to him. Never squirt mineral oil into a tortoise's mouth directly because he can't feel it and might aspirate it. But in a bit of food would be ok. The oil is non absorptive, so it actually coats the 'pipes' and any masses that are stuck in there. Scrambling around in a tub of water, trying to get out also works good to help move along any hard poop or constipation.

MIKEC928

If you look closely, the circle at the right of the picture is composed of many little pieces, not a solid mass like a bladder stone would be. That mass is in the area where one usually sees bladder stones though. I'm not familiar with tortoise anatomy, so I'm not sure what the other mass on the left side is.

Michael: Does the tortoise eat at all? If you can hollow out a strawberry you can then inject a bit of mineral oil into it and hand feed this to him. Never squirt mineral oil into a tortoise's mouth directly because he can't feel it and might aspirate it. But in a bit of food would be ok. The oil is non absorptive, so it actually coats the 'pipes' and any masses that are stuck in there. Scrambling around in a tub of water, trying to get out also works good to help move along any hard poop or constipation.
She's still not eating but she has been pooping a lot and it's looks a almost like hardened tar but it's getting softer the more that comes out and there is even some urates. she Is definitely looking better in every way but yes I'm worried very much about her not eating. Hopefully getting all this old gunk out of her will get appetite going.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's still not eating but she has been pooping a lot and it's looks a almost like hardened tar but it's getting softer the more that comes out and there is even some urates. she Is definitely looking better in every way but yes I'm worried very much about her not eating. Hopefully getting all this old gunk out of her will get appetite going.

That's good news. Keep up the soaking!