Hello I'm the Dinosaur_Owner

Dinosaur_Owner

Location (City and/or State)
Missoula Montana
Hello all,

I am a long time tortoise admirer and first time tortoise owner. Last weekend I was able to pick up a wonderful baby red foot tortoise at a local repticon. Onyx (thats his name) is maybe 3 inches if that. When I was a child I was fascinated by dinosaurs and now as an adult not much has changed :D While owning actual dinosaurs is currently out of the question I naturally gravitate towards animals that are in their likeness. So tortoises were a natural fit. I also own a green cheek conure named Neptune who is my other dinosaur.:) If any of you have any tricks of the trade on raising baby red foot tortoises or even just baby tortoises in general please let me know.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's quite the colony you have! Do you think they are social animals? I've heard mixed reviews.
My group get along. But they haven't always. I had to remove and ad a few individuals until I got a harmonious group.
Redfoot often tolerate each other in groups. Not always. I have 2 males and 5 females in my adult group. One of the males isn't sexually active yet.
No. They are not social. (Redfoot)But they will see YOU as the food guy or girl and become anxious when they see you. That may seem sociable.
There have been stories from members about some very large Sulcata tortoises that showed signs of further sociability. But I haven't experienced it.
As a rule, they do best as solitary animals.

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas from another RF keeper. Look up "TORTOISE LIBRARY" and "TURTLETARY" through google search. Both sites have awesome up to date info on raising the RF, and had been my "tortoise bible" in my first year. This forum is the best place to get reliable info on torts. Glad you have foond us here

Dinosaur_Owner

Missoula Montana
Hello and welcome.

Where are you? Different tips for different parts of the country.

I don't keep red foots, but most of this applies to all tortoises:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Right now I live in florida, but I will be moving to Montana this June to begin work on my masters. Which I know doesn't lend itself to being the most hospitable environment for me let alone a tropical tortoise. That being said I am a good woodworker and I'm quite confident that I will be able to build a substantial enclosure indoors. But I also plan on building a pin outside for the summer months.