Hello! I've just joined.

Steve_carter

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Not too bad up here in the North East today. Heard further south it's been awful so something to look forward to tomorrow as it comes up and across. I have written summer off JoesMum.

Many thanks for the advise & help. I will get his lamp upgrade tomorrow & a flat rock for his food plate. I really appreciate it. I'm so glad to of come across this forum with friendly, well knowledged peeps who can share.

I love Norbert to pieces. He never fails to put a smile on my face & i want to give him the best life he deserves.

Thank you again.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use the Arcadia too (Pets at Home from about £39 for the mini D3 80w) I started off with the 80w but currently using a 150w. My tort is a leopard and has his own room with a radiator on 24/7/365. I also use a ceramic heat emitter form night use which I run through a thermostat so that it switches on and off as temps rise and fall. used mainly at night as torts need darkness to sleep, but also for extra heat in the day if needed. Lola is a leopard and needs warmer temps than Russians so you may get away without night heat if your room temps are high enough.
MVBs are great as they are so easy to use but they are quite easily damaged so don't knock it or shake it especially when hot - I ruined 2 in my first year. They also don't work with thermostats because they don't come straight back on when you switch them off - there is a delay, I thought I'd broken mine the first time I switched one off and straight back on.

Steve_carter

UK
I use the Arcadia too (Pets at Home from about £39 for the mini D3 80w) I started off with the 80w but currently using a 150w. My tort is a leopard and has his own room with a radiator on 24/7/365. I also use a ceramic heat emitter form night use which I run through a thermostat so that it switches on and off as temps rise and fall. used mainly at night as torts need darkness to sleep, but also for extra heat in the day if needed. Lola is a leopard and needs warmer temps than Russians so you may get away without night heat if your room temps are high enough.
MVBs are great as they are so easy to use but they are quite easily damaged so don't knock it or shake it especially when hot - I ruined 2 in my first year. They also don't work with thermostats because they don't come straight back on when you switch them off - there is a delay, I thought I'd broken mine the first time I switched one off and straight back on.

Thanks Lyn W, I think I'll get the 80w one for now & as he gets bigger and the enclosure gets bigger I'll get a higher watt bulb. Do pets at home sell the lamp poster/holder also or any recommendations for attaching the light securely? For best results fir light positioning is it to have the lamp in the middle or off centre? At the moment it's in the corner due to the lamp present. Good to know them can damage easily too. Thanks for the heads up!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Lyn W, I think I'll get the 80w one for now & as he gets bigger and the enclosure gets bigger I'll get a higher watt bulb. Do pets at home sell the lamp poster/holder also or any recommendations for attaching the light securely? For best results fir light positioning is it to have the lamp in the middle or off centre? At the moment it's in the corner due to the lamp present. Good to know them can damage easily too. Thanks for the heads up!
I think it needs to be nearer one end so the tort has the option of moving to cooler areas but I'll ask @johnandjade he's just made fab viv for his tort in Scotland. As for holders I'm not sure what you would use in a viv. I was told it needs to be about 10 inches above the torts shell but that's where your temp gun will be needed. I think @Tom uses a stone about the same size as the tort to make sure its not too high or low. You may need a CHE and thermostat too but check your night temps.