Hello, new here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm new..
I have one Sulcata named Patrick, around 3 yrs old or so..
I'm from California and I'm really glad to be here. I work for the Dept of Defense and look forward to being involved with this site..

Attachments

• IMG_001641.jpg
    IMG_001641.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 41

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Sadly, no.. I rescued him from a horrible pet store that was feeding him lettuce and strawberries. They also "informed" me how he would hibernate and all that. Even I knew that was not ever going to happen. :) I got him from them when he was close to a year old or so..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi TRVEESO:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name? Are you in SoCal?

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Thank you all.. I'm Charles. I live in the antelope valley (palmdale/lancaster) so yes, SO CAL area :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ideal country for tortoises! I'm surprised you don't have a desert tortoise or two.

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
I would have to foster them if i did.. I actually prefer Sulcata.. so outgoing and they have a place in my heart. I can see myself one day having a Sulcata sanctuary in a huge back yard.

And yes, very ideal. My yard grows all the weeds he needs and he spends many hours on my porch in his "kiddie pool" soaking and sunning himself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I'm just south of you in SC. So glad you rescued him from those ignorant people. He looks pretty good considering. Your first photo on the site is a home run. Your tortoise outside, in the sun, on the dirt, grazing on weeds. Perfect! THAT is how it should be done.

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I'm just south of you in SC. So glad you rescued him from those ignorant people. He looks pretty good considering. Your first photo on the site is a home run. Your tortoise outside, in the sun, on the dirt, grazing on weeds. Perfect! THAT is how it should be done.

Tom, thank you for responding. I have already read multiple posts of yours and I must say you get my respect. I dont know what it is about Sulcata, but Patrick captured my heart from the very first day I saw him. When I brought him home I switched his diet cold turkey to grass/weeds/etc.. no junk.. he sulked in the corner for 30 days. Finally, he started eating correctly. I swear I almost cried.

Anyway, I didnt mean to go into all that.. but I'm really glad to be here and I'm almost finished with my new tortoise table. For a guy who is a horrible carpenter, I'm very proud of it.

thanks again for all the very informative posts..

here is another picture of my little dinosaur, as i call him.

Attachments

• Pat.bmp
    451.3 KB · Views: 24

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
Patrick is a cutie, I am so glad he is with you now :)

Beautiful pics by the way, I love the second one :cool:

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your support. I'm pretty much finished with the tort table aside from painting the outside. I have a basking spot up to about 105 give/take.. with a temperature gradient all the way down to like 75 on the "cold" end of the eight feet long enclosure. I also sunk the terracotta (sp?) dish for water and soaking and i've been spraying his shell three times per day. I also covered the four feet of open area with a light bed sheet which has helped a ton in retaining humidity.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Welcome to the forum, very good of you to rescue that lil fellow from the pet store. I saw your table thread, that is one lucky lil tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.