Hello There New to forum and New Turtle-mom

ChosenPumpkim

Location (City and/or State)
Carthage NC
Hello There!
My name is Kimberly I am currently living in North Carolina (we are military). I am 35 years old with two kiddos, two pitties, a beardie, and now Commander Cody (my Russian tortoise). I was going to this pet supermarket for crickets for my sons bearded dragon and I saw this turtle and no one was buying him, same little guy in the tank and I just felt compelled to buy him (5 months ago? Maybe 6). He is absolutely wonderful and makes me so happy! I am here so I can learn more and from you turtle experts ❤️imagejpeg_1.jpegimage000000.jpeg

ChosenPumpkim

Carthage NC
Hello and welcome! What a cutie🥰

Don’t suppose we could get a peak at their enclosure? It’s always nice to see how new members are keeping them🙂

You house him outdoors or?😊
Yes I can absolutely! It’s kind of mixed between his indoor tank and the garden but we are building his own habitat outside with wood and cinderblocks (basically how we made our huge raised flower beds) but I keep him indoors at night because I get too anxious about him being out there when we have had poisonous snakes in the yard and I’m paranoid if I leave him out there at night something could happen. Maybe that’s silly and I don’t need to worry about that but I can’t help it. I assumed when I bought him, no tank (glass) would be big enough to house him but for a short period of time, so we closed off our garden to give him more space to roam (it’s dark outside now so I’ll take a picture in the morning) from what I’ve observed he uses the pumpkin leaves (we grow pumpkins) for shade when it gets too warm. But he seems to absolutely love it out there.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yes I can absolutely! It’s kind of mixed between his indoor tank and the garden but we are building his own habitat outside with wood and cinderblocks (basically how we made our huge raised flower beds) but I keep him indoors at night because I get too anxious about him being out there when we have had poisonous snakes in the yard and I’m paranoid if I leave him out there at night something could happen. Maybe that’s silly and I don’t need to worry about that but I can’t help it. I assumed when I bought him, no tank (glass) would be big enough to house him but for a short period of time, so we closed off our garden to give him more space to roam (it’s dark outside now so I’ll take a picture in the morning) from what I’ve observed he uses the pumpkin leaves (we grow pumpkins) for shade when it gets too warm. But he seems to absolutely love it out there.
Yay wonderful! Look forward to getting a glimpse😊
And ooo sounds like some exciting renovation plans! Getting a nice big, secure outdoor space is ideal if your climate is good for it😁I really look forward to following your progress if you’re up for sharing🥰be sure those sides are nice and high, Russians are very cheeky escape artists🤣
Yeah you’re right about tanks, no store options are big enough for adults🫤but I’m sure it works for overnight. Just be sure it’s in a room that doesn’t have ac making it too cool, temps in the 60’s overnight.

If temps are too warm outside some days, I’d be sure to check with a temp gun, they come in quite handy, and make sure there’s lots of shade😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome!

I'd like to see his whole body. His head sorta reminds me of a Greek or Hermanns.
I thought the head looked unusual too. I think it must be from all that awesome NC humidity and rain. You and I are used to seeing the dry desiccated version. :)

@ChosenPumpkim He looks great. Don't let our conversation concern you. All looks great. Squash leaves are great for shade AND for tortoise food!

In this thread I show and explain how to make an insulated night box to keep him safe and cozy at night:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome, don't know how big your outside enclosure is. But a netting of some kind my be helpful for birds of prey. If you have them in NC
. I grew up at Camp Lejune. Looked on the map and saw you are located at a different base.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup he's russian alright. Thanks for the picture!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome - he looks very bright and intelligent - I do hope you will keep updating the forum with his progress, and lots of photos, please !
Angie