Hello Tortoise World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccerplr1

5 Year Member
Hello Tortoise Forum Folks,

I am new to the forum and have a 5-6 month old Sulcata. His name is "Hatch" as he came from an egg and we are from New Mexico and cannot live without Hatch green chile.

Hatch seems to be a happy tortoise and I am excited to care for him/her. We now live in Las Vegas and I look forward to the time when he is large enough to live in the yard.

I am so thrilled about Hatch that I am considering another. Perhaps a leopard or another sulcata. I imagine the Sulcata's could "grow-up" for a while together as juveniles although I am not sure about the leo. Appreciate the recommendations on the subject.

Thanks All

- Andrew

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome Andrew,
Take the time to read Toms sulcata hatchling care sheets and stickies. Tom has great experience and is motivated to help everyone have happy tortoises. Great to have you here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Tortoises would rather live alone and usually do not do good in pairs. Also, species should never be mixed. Be sure you have a very large area for two separate enclosures. Toms threads, a couple of them are below in my post. Please read them.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I recently had to re-home one of my Sulcatas and it was one of the hardest things I have had to do. Still haunts me everyday. 7 years ago I took in two hatchlings.....they got along great until about 3 months ago. My male (50lbs) started to mount my female (60lbs) and from that moment on the friendship was over. They were brother/sister. She continuously attacked him. I just recently completed a series of antibiotic injections due to injury. Not sure if this helps but wanted to share my story. Welcome :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andrew, and welcome to the Forum!!

My advice is for you to let Hatch be an only tortoise. He is much happier that way. Tortoises are not members of herds or looking for companionship. They would much rather live alone and not have to compete for the food or the best hiding place. If you add another sulcata to the pen, Hatch, being the original owner of the territory, would try to chase the newcomer away. This involves lots of ramming, biting and pushing...not a pretty sight, and might be harmful.

As to mixing species, my opinion on that is also, don't do it. If a certain specie of tortoise would not meet the other specie in the wild, then it would be very dangerous to the tortoises to make them meet in captivity. They might make each other sick or even dead.

Soccerplr1

5 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcome !

Looks like Hatch will be the only child for the time being...

Look forward to chatting.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Hey Andrew! My name is Andrew! :D
Welcome to the forum, you will soon get addicted just as I. I would love to see Hatch sometime, but i would advise you get a tortoise if you can ONLY properly care for them. Again, welcome!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome Andrew and baby Hatch. Love the name! Look at all the great information you already got. Best place ever for tortoise keepers. Read-read-read and ask away! : )

Soccerplr1

5 Year Member
Thank you all very much for the warm welcome!

Thought I would share a picture of Hatch to wrap up the introduction. Here he is during normal brunch routine doing what he does best.

Happy Father's Day all!ImageUploadedByTortForum1371401445.880144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...you might want to increase your humidity to 80% and above..you dont want hatch to pyramid...

Status
Not open for further replies.