Hello

MandaMonkey13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rock Hill, SC
Hi I'm new to this site as a member, however I've been reading some of the posts for awhile now trying to learn more. I have a Hermans Tortoise named Pluto. He is about a year old. I'm looking to learn some more about his care. He has free roam in part of my house when I'm home and I put him an enclosure when I'm not. He is usually pretty active and we find him entertaining.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Enjoy tte forum.

Alaskamike

South Florida
My little ones will eat odd things if I don't watch them carefully on my lanai for their " walkabouts". Houses often have bits of plastic, paper lips, fur balls etc to taste. Ya never know what the little scamps might ingest.

I'm also carefully to never allow my cat or dog unsupervised access to my torts - not even for a moment. Even though neither has given my torts a second glance. It only takes a second for tragedy.

Welcome to the forum.
Good fortune with Pluto. :)
Mike

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Manda welcome to the TFO from AZ . Herrmans Rule ! But they cannt digest carpet fibers , and they cannt cough up fiber balls either . But they can and will try to eat them .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Glad you decided to make yourself known, not just read the posts. How did you happen to decide on a Hermanni?

MandaMonkey13

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
Thanks for be so welcoming. I didn't realize the carpet was so bad. Part of the area is linoleum too. It's funny though because I have a tablecloth that hangs off a low table and he always curls up in it to take a nap. I put a another baby blanket down on the linoleum floor and he lays on that too. My question is then - are the blankets bad for him too. I do make sure all the area he is allowed in is kept clean of anything on the carpet.
Thanks for all the advice and I'm looking forward to learning more.

MandaMonkey13

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
I decided on him because all the books I read said they were good for beginners and easy to care for. I totally agree. He has been a lot of fun to watch. Also it was one of the few choices at the pet store. I didn't want to buy one I couldn't see first.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It not carpet or blanket that's bad it's the fuss that he taste tests on his own that he cannt cough up the fuss he eats that's bad

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Carpet is also bad because it has formaldehyde and other nasty carcinogenic chemicals. Naturally, it's best that animals don't ingest it. And I've had box turtles who would eat little pieces of plastic if they could get a hold of them before me – also not healthy.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've seen that curl up in the cloth behavior. It's a substitute for hiding under a plant or burrowing.

MandaMonkey13

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
Thanks for the advice about the carpet. I will keep an eye out and see if I can keep him on the linoleum more. There is another water dish set up for him there and a heat lamp. I need to get him a way to have a place to dig when he is not in his tank. I never thought about the hiding in the blanket as him burrowing. I'll work on that.