Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alithany

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California's Central Valley
Hello. I'm the proud parent of a red footed tortoise. We live in California--in the valley. I'm here to learn all I can to provide the best home for Sheldon.

toothless-4475.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Which Valley? San Fernando? Central? Santa Clarita?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alithany:

Welcome to the forum!! We'd love to see pictures of your tortoise habitat.

Alithany

5 Year Member
Tom: We are in the central valley.
Emysemys: Well Sheldon was an unexpected gift and I've had him for a total of three days now. :) His habitat for the moment consists of a plastic tub with cypress mulch, a water dish, a hide, and his food dish. I'm trying to research as much as possible to start an outdoor pen since I believe that is where he'd be happiest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm in the Central Valley too! Welcome, neighbor!!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome! I think an outdoor pen is an awesome idea, but you will want a lot of ground cover to keep it shady as they don't like the bright light. Cute! Feel free to post pictures of the current enclosure.

Alithany

5 Year Member
His current enclosure is unimpressive. :) But I'm hoping to get started on an enclosure outdoors this weekend. I was planning on having a hibiscus and a grape plant---but found that the actual fruit-grapes--is a no no to feed? So there went that idea. I'm hoping to find some red clover, fescue, hibiscus, and of course the existing dandelions as it's an empty hard clay area. I was also thinking of using cinder blocks as the wall since it's up against the neighboring fence and I've read some posts of neighbors spraying--though the house next to me is empty now for a year due to a foreclosure. You never know when someone will move in! Are red footed tortoises notorious for burrowing? Should I dig down and extend the wall? Bird netting for the top? We do have neighborhood cats...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can put in the grape plant and just keep an eye on it to pick any grapes before the tort gets to them. I think as he is a Redfoot the grapes are ok, but there are some more commonly fed fruits for the fruit part of the diet (other tort breeds have zero fruit in their diet, and Redfoots have some). Look up the edible/safe plants lists and see what you can find in your area. Keep in mind unless it is organic (nearly impossible to find), the tort should be kept away from the plant for 3-6 months so the systemic pesticides can leech out. Rinsing the plant or re potting it does not help. I don't think Redfoots dig as much as other breeds, but you do need to dig down the fence, or keep a very close eye on it and see if he starts to dig out. Yes, I would use netting on top like hardware cloth unless you can be in direct line of sight every time he is outside (using the pen less frequently). What are your temps like day and night during the course of the year? Will this be a full time home for him? Make sure you make a hide area at the top of a slope in case of rain, but best to check on the tort and take it inside if you are getting a downpour, especially if it is cooler as wet&cold is bad. You can buy a seed mix online to scatter over the existing grass to have weeds and broad leaves. With a Redfoot, the most important thing is a lot of shrubs and plants to provide shade and ground cover. Is your yard chemical free? Cinder blocks with a hardware cloth in a frame with some weight over it at the corners should work well as something that is move able and rather cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.