Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexx

5 Year Member
Hi everyone :) I bought my first tortoise yesterday :) he is a Hermann tortoise 2 years old :) I fell in love with him when I went in the shop as he was on his side trying to flip himself back over he's got alot of character :) Im not sure whether he's a girl or boy ATM as I've got to take him back to the shop to get his chip read later in the week so I can get his papers :) ( they had stickers on to identify them but they fell off) his name is tortoise for now :) he seems quite happy in his new home apart from he hasn't eaten anything yet but hopefully he's just settling in x

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Hi Alexx,

Welcome. Where do you live? I just got my Hermann's on Friday - he's two years old as well! :)

Would love to see some pictures of yours!

Alexx

5 Year Member
Thanku for the warm welcome :) I live in Staffordshire :) he's eaten some lettuce thus morning so feeling happier that's he eaten something :)

image-3140085760.png

image-1431368724.png

image-3518755385.png

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
Hi Alexx,

How exciting, can't wait to see the pics of your new tortoise. Also when you find out the sex you can give him a name! Yay!

Alexx

5 Year Member
IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

The pictures dont seem to be working when i upload them on my phone so going to try on the computer :)

The little tinker doesnt like his water being clean :)

I must be going crazy i can see the pictures now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
it appears pellets are being used for the substrate? pellets nor sand, IN MY OPINION :D, should be used as the substrate....pellets can mold and collect bacteria at a high rate and sand is an increased exposure for impaction....

Alexx

5 Year Member
It is pellets atm, its what the shop gave me. It was all i had to start with but am going to change it soon as I dont like them and I dont think he likes it that much. Any ideas on whats best to use?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I like cyperess mulch. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where is Staffordshire?

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
Alexx said:
It is pellets atm, its what the shop gave me. It was all i had to start with but am going to change it soon as I dont like them and I dont think he likes it that much. Any ideas on whats best to use?

garden soil or unfertilized flower soil with sand (for example playground sand or river sand), in ratio 1:3

in germany you can get this stuff in every home-improvement market

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
Alexx said:

Well I use hemp bedding, and that seems to be ok for Orwell...

Angi said:
I like cyperess mulch. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where is Staffordshire?

Ha ha! It's in the West Midlands. Just think in the middle of England, then slightly to the left! :D

Alexx

5 Year Member
Thankyou for the tips :) his character is coming out alot more now :) I love him so much :) I miss him when I go to work (people keep looking at me weirdly when I say that) but I don't care :) he's being a fussy thing with his food ATM he loves romaine lettuce but trying to get him on to other things as he's leaving everything else I give him. Staffordshire is in the midlands :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.