Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamp

5 Year Member
I'm live in Jacksonville Fl.
I have a baby red foot and a young russian.:tort:
They live outside in 36in pond liners till I finish their new home.
I have a lot of plants in the area they are in now. I have also been shopping for plants for their new area but I have a question Sweet Potato ( Ipomoea Batats) is on edible list for both my tortoise, but yet when I got home and looked it up I see people posted sweet potato vines (Ipomoea Batatas) is not safe.

Thanks,
Charlotte

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlotte:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Most edible plant lists are geared towards mammals. Tortoises' systems are much more tolerant of the slightly toxic to toxic plants. I have lots of questionable plants in my tortoise pens. They seem to leave the ones they're not supposed to eat alone. So if you give your tortoise his own choice to make, I mean, don't cut the leaves and put them on his dinner plate, then I think it would be ok to plant in his habitat.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would check the tortoisetable website for its safety. I just spoke with someone yesterday whose desert tortoise ate lantana in the yard and died. If you have a choice of plantings just stay away from it and plant something that is known to be safe.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sweet potato is a member of the bindweed family and both the tuber and the vine are edible. Bindweed is edible too - Joe loves it.

Normal potatoes are part of the nightshade family along with bell peppers, tomatoes and chilli peppers. Nightshade family plants are poisonous and must not be fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.