Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau-sa Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas!
Mau-sa sept 2012 redesighned habitat.jpgHello from Texas. I'm Mau-sa Mom. I have a 5 month Sulcata and I'm completely ignorant on anything that has to do with them. I am doing everything wrong and am afraid of causing harm to her. I have read some of Toms posts on babies and have had PM with a nice person named Yvonne. I will continue to go through this website and learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I will try to include a pic of her habitat. Thank You for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Benita, and welcome to the Forum!

Whoever built your habitat did a real nice job. I love using the fence pickets as walls. It is so eye-pleasing.

If I may make a suggestion:

Have someone make you a stand or a framework over the top of the box so that you can hang your lights. When you place the lights at an angle by using the clamp feature, you diminish their effectivness, and its hard to get the heat just right. Much better for them to be hanging straight down.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) I would suggest, if that is sand in as substrate to either switch it all out for coconut coir, or you can mix coconut coir or plain dirt with the sand. If you mix the sand with one of the mentioned, make it only 20% sand. The sand causes impaction. Also, to help keep humidity in, cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Howdy and welcome from Houston. We have # members from Texas here, always nice to add another. Love your enclosure as well.
Also there is a reptile show in Pasadena this weekend Sat& Sun at the convention center there if you live in the area.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Hi. Welcome! Cute enclosure and tort. Make sure you put a shallow water dish in there if you dont already have one. I couldnt see one in the pic.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. Looks like you are taking the right steps to learning as much as you can about caring for your tortoise. It is a continuious learning process even for the more experienced members.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Hello from Dallas! Where did you get that Texas-shaped feeding dish? I love it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, I'm from Florida, but I'd get one of those. Where did you buy it? Btw, welcome to the forum; you're gonna like it...I guarantee it. I wonder where I heard that before. Anyway, nice enclosure. Don't forget to give the baby warm baths twice a day at least for the next few months. And for humidity, I'd keep the substrate moist and warm, and cover 3/4 of the enclosure at bedtime to keep the humidity in. You'll be a pro before you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.