Impaction??

Kellymy

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hello, I have a African spur thighed Tortoise. I put her in for her soak today and noticed that she has what looks to be impacted?? What do I do? I am new to being a Tortoise mom. Thanks!!

A7734077-E00A-48C6-9053-34E1BE8721A2.jpeg

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hello, I have a African spur thighed Tortoise. I put her in for her soak today and noticed that she has what looks to be impacted?? What do I do? I am new to being a Tortoise mom. Thanks!!
It looks like a stone. Im not sure what others will say but i'd guess a long warm soak would help her. Anyway that's what I would do. At least an hour or until things get better. Maybe you could also help her once the thing softens up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man, you need to work that stone out of there. If you can get your fingers behind it and help it out by gently pushing, theN take the tweezers of a pick of some sort and break it out piece at a time. Get in behind the mass, up higher on the tail, and gently maneuver it towards the opening. Squirt some mineral oil in around the stone to make it slippery.

Once you get that mass out of there, it is imperative you give this tortoise more water. Do some research and find out what foods are high in oxalic acids and stop feeding those foods, and soak this tortoise daily for at least 15 minutes, and longer is even better.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and another thing. . . to avoid confusion, you should be referring to your tortoise as a sulcata. There is another tortoise called a spur thigh, but it is a Greek tortoise and quite a bit smaller than yours.

Kellymy

Tampa FL
Oh man, you need to work that stone out of there. If you can get your fingers behind it and help it out by gently pushing, theN take the tweezers of a pick of some sort and break it out piece at a time. Get in behind the mass, up higher on the tail, and gently maneuver it towards the opening. Squirt some mineral oil in around the stone to make it slippery.

Once you get that mass out of there, it is imperative you give this tortoise more water. Do some research and find out what foods are high in oxalic acids and stop feeding those foods, and soak this tortoise daily for at least 15 minutes, and longer is even better.

Sorry 1 more question what kind of Mineral oil? Is it for Tortoises?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You buy it in the pharmacy for people. this is just one brand:

mineral oil.jpg

Kellymy

Tampa FL
I got it out!! Thank you!! Now is there anything that I should do? And what do you recommend for daily feeding?

AEFABCC2-34AA-40CE-8D78-EA9A625E4656.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I got it out!! Thank you!! Now is there anything that I should do? And what do you recommend for daily feeding?

Give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/