Sulcata Mix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuma, AZ
Hello again everyone!
I have adopted an African spur thighed tortoise from an elderly lady who is thinning out her "heard" of tortoises. The question I have is could he be a "mixed" breed? She is keeping her California Desert Tortoises and her African Spur Thighed tortoises in the same, very large I might add enclosure. I know for a fact they all successfully breed because if the sheer number of hatchlings and animals she has on the property. Thank you very much for any information you have. I have also enclosed pictures of him for you to view. Oh, one more thing... Is an African spur thighed tortoise and a Sulcata the same? Thanks again!
*By the way I'm asking about the one on the right. He is a 6 month old male. The one on the left is a Sulcata hatchling for sure. It is 2 months old and of unknown sex.

Attachments

• image-718860351.png
    image-718860351.png
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 108

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are both sulcatas. Hybridization between those two species is unlikely.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
however... that person really should seperate them.. the risk of a larger sulcata injuring or killing the endangered Desert Torts is High...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Laura said:
however... that person really should seperate them.. the risk of a larger sulcata injuring or killing the endangered Desert Torts is High...

No fooling on that one. We had a desert tort a neighbor gave us .. chased poor RV all over the yard nipping and ramming ~ she was much smaller than he was. Then winter came and he hibernated, RV got bigger. Come spring time RV gave him "what for" and we had to take him to the tort rescue... whole, if somewhat shaken up.

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
I completely agree with you both. I mentioned separating them by species but I seriously doubt she will. At least she's getting rid of a few. They will have more space to "get away" from each other hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.