HELP/ADVICE Yes this sounds crazy but......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I know this sounds crazy, but what do you think? Is it a scam??? So I was checking out C/L and I saw an ad asking someone to care for two poodles for a month or two. I love poodles, so answered that I might be able to help. Hubby said fine. The guy said he was going through a devorce and didn't have a home they could stay at right now. Sounds reasonable. Now he has car trouble too. Can I pick them up in PB. Hmmmm....That is an hour drive in the rain. I don't really have time for that. So I google his name and his email biz name. Turns out the guy is a disbared lawyer (no big deal not the dogs fault) and he has conned people on surregacy cases. He was also charged with hiring someone to murder his wife, maybe he wasn't charged not sure, but still..... Well so we agree this guy is probably scum, but if there really is dogs then they need a place to stay. Thoughts please!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Do you think he is trying to hide the dogs because they may get taken in some civil suit or maybe a pending divorce from his wife?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angi...don't do it dear....I felt my gut wrench when you said he had a link to hiring someone to kill his wife? So if you go to where he says now you have been exposed to him seeing you, your vehicle (and license plates..make model) and he will likely spring it on you he would like your address so he knows where his little dogs are and so will know where to go to pick them up (your home address)....

I hope you decide against this Angi...there is a good chance there are no actual dogs as well....you just don't know what you are getting into....kinda sad to say but I just would not.

I wish you well dear on which ever way you decide to go.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Lynn Please explain. How does the scam work. Dmarcus, I guess they dropped the charges, but still he wanted his wife murderd...I think that was a few years ago, so I doubt he is trying to hide them from her. He is a Lawyer, but doesn't have a working car. Maybe he is going to jail. I don't know. He is deffinatly not a good guy, but if it is not a scam I would still help the dogs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bad people play on good people's sympathies by using innocent animals. I don't know what his scam is, but I would avoid him like the plague.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with everyone and this guy should be avoided, not worth finding out what his true intentions may be.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
You are all correct. As it is he probably has too much info on me from my email address.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Steer clear. Way clear. And don't give any explanations or excuses for why you cannot help anymore. I don't know how you left it, but a simple, neutral, "Sorry. I won't be able to help you. Goodbye" should be the only thing you need to say.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Uh, Angi. I know him. Stay away from him.

Edit: Just to clarify, I practiced law in the same community. I do not think he's dangerous, but for reasons I will share with Angi privately, I do not believe that she should go through with this.

Also, I agree with handling it as Tom has suggested.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tom said:
Steer clear. Way clear. And don't give any explanations or excuses for why you cannot help anymore. I don't know how you left it, but a simple, neutral, "Sorry. I won't be able to help you. Goodbye" should be the only thing you need to say.

Ditto.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Angi! Really? Stay away! You have a big heart & we need you around a little longer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I experienced something similar to this a year or two back. I saw an ad to temporarily house a cat for like 3 months. I contacted this person and we started talking, it was a I am losing my house and need a home for my cat for 3 months. then stuff started happening, car trouble like you said, then sick relatives and on an don and on. I finally said "sorry but my situation has changed and I can no longer help you" boy then the emails started coming , I can only imagine bad things happening by doing this. Either he is trying to hide the animals for some reason, or he plans on dumping them on you . It is sad because this sours people towards others who actually need the help. I would cut off contact with a nice neutral message and then if he continues to bother you (possible drama queen) block him.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would not mind so much if he were planning to dump the dogs on me :) After googling him I think he is probably trying to hide the dogs :( I don't want to be in the middle of a dog custody battle.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Call the police- they can go for you and bust him! :) and save some puppies if they exist and save him from even attacking someone like you who's offered to help.... Never know..

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Just to reassure everyone, the guy isn't that kind of dangerous. He is alleged to have hired someone to kill his wife, and not very well. The bulk of the allegations that surround him have to do with his business practices. However, I believe a word of caution is in order. The person at issue is very easily identifiable from the facts provided. A little discretion is probably called for.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Steer clear of him! Since he is a lawyer he knows how to get through the loops of the law, and he already doesn't sound like that great of the person by the things he has done. I hate to say it but i think he will either try to dump them on you or he is hiding them for whatever the reason may be, which if that is the case then you can get stuck in the middle as an innocent person just trying to help, also you could get accused as agreeing to hide the dogs for whatever reason he is trying to. It'd be best to just stay away. I know how you feel, and that you really would like to help the dogs, but it would be best for your own well being. He has already done alot of baaad stuff, and you never know what people have up their sleeve now-a-days. :/ then again, you've done the research so it's you to decide what you would like to do. :)

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Lulu said:
Just to reassure everyone, the guy isn't that kind of dangerous. He is alleged to have hired someone to kill his wife, and not very well. The bulk of the allegations that surround him have to do with his business practices. However, I believe a word of caution is in order. The person at issue is very easily identifiable from the facts provided. A little discretion is probably called for.

You've got to be kidding right?? Just because his "hands aren't dirty" doesn't mean this character won't try something. He's exploring options- but not too good at it. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.