Help (baby not doing well)

Becky M

Hello friends... I'm new to the group and in need of some advice. I have 2 salcata tortious babies. Both fm the same hatchling about 9 months old. In the pic u can see the difference in their size. The smaller one Zoom I've had for 3 weeks. Flash I've had for about 2 months. He is very active, alert, poops and eats great. Zoom isn't. He hasn't been eating much and hvnt I seen him poop or pee. He sleeps a lot isnt active the way Flash is, not even outside. I'm worried.

20170406_192917.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Becky
Evan in the pic you can see the one tort on the left has his head lowered the one on the right has his head higher is brighter in color . Torts are loners they don't do well in pairs . You need to put them in sepert enclosures !

Becky M

Hi Becky
Evan in the pic you can see the one tort on the left has his head lowered the one on the right has his head higher is brighter in color . Torts are loners they don't do well in pairs . You need to put them in sepert enclosures !

Becky M

Even if they r fm the same hatchling? The gentleman I got them fm said he had the all together.
Also the reason Flash is brighter and Zoom isn't is bcuz the breeds guy had him in sand and I didnt hv the chance to rinse him yet.
TY for replying, I'll tk any advice or ideas...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Even if they r fm the same hatchling? The gentleman I got them fm said he had the all together.
Also the reason Flash is brighter and Zoom isn't is bcuz the breeds guy had him in sand and I didnt hv the chance to rinse him yet.
TY for replying, I'll tk any advice or ideas...
They are very territorial. When they are tiny, having them together as a large group is fine, but as they grow and become more independent they feel the need to protect their food and territory from all comers. They don't care about hatch mates or the gender of the other tortoise; they just want it to leave.

Sulcatas are amongst the worst bullies.

It's not uncommon to be given poor care information sadly. That's why this forum is so successful; it's full of people who have decades of experience and have already made the mistakes.

I suggest you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Why not to keep 2 tortoises together
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He Becky, and welcome!

Two things jump out at me - they both look VERY dry, but the smaller one more so, and two, you should never keep tortoises in pairs. One always does better than the other when you have a pair. Groups sometimes work, but hardly ever pairs.

Bee62

Germany
Hello,

both babies don`t look very well.
Can you please discribe how they live ? The enclosure, the temps night and day and the humidity.
Do they have a UVB light ? What do you feed them ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello,

both babies don`t look very well.
Can you please discribe how they live ? The enclosure, the temps night and day and the humidity.
Do they have a UVB light ? What do you feed them ?
Photos of the enclosure and lighting will save a thousand words!