It happen !!! (flashed!)

Evy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi lovely community!
After being busy with a crazy school semester I'm back for a bit. I wanted to share this news with you :)

At 20 months London my sulcata flash us!!!!!

I think by now he weights about 10 lbs.
he is less active is that because of the weather change? We are in San Diego CA. Would that have something to do with it?
He sleeps more than anything.

Is this normal?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My sulcata is sleeping more now that she can't be outside. She's stuck inside for the winter months and once I got a new uv light she did start waking more, but nothing like when she was outside in the good sunshine.

Reactions: Evy

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Evy. Glad that you have the time to visit with us again. Congratulations on the discovery that London is a boy. We have had some cold weather here and my sulcata is certainly less active than he is in warmer weather. On sunny days he comes out of his box about 11am and by 3pm he is back inside. Most of his time is spent sunning or eating. When the temps are above about 75° he will take a few laps around the yard. On cloudy, cooler days he spend hours sitting in the doorway of his box. His head sticking through the flaps while his body is in the warmth of the box. He is probably sleeping more than he does in the Summer, but he is awake almost every time I check on him during the day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats, it's a boy. Yes, most torts are acting a little more sleepy now that some cold weather has been creepy in on everyone. I usually don't worry about it with my leopards, I just make sure they eat, which may also be less then normal and drink.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, not too worry, as long as you have double checked the temps to make sure it's not due to something that's not normal.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
hey! i really want to see pictures!
I only saw it twice. Thank God I been reading here because the first time was like his intestines came out. The second time was a little faster while I was about to dry him.

Any was I had the feeling that he was a boy since I changed his name and he stared to grow very fast and hi caparace/ shell was very concave.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
My sulcata is sleeping more now that she can't be outside. She's stuck inside for the winter months and once I got a new uv light she did start waking more, but nothing like when she was outside in the good sunshine.
Lismar, we moved London outside staring this October because he was getting big very fast. But we made sure he has a heater inside his new night box that was built as Tom's recommendations. We have thermostat, CHI lamp and regular light and the heater mentioned above. I guess like you said they want more natural sunshine in order to go out. That makes sense!

Thanks!

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hi Evy. Glad that you have the time to visit with us again. Congratulations on the discovery that London is a boy. We have had some cold weather here and my sulcata is certainly less active than he is in warmer weather. On sunny days he comes out of his box about 11am and by 3pm he is back inside. Most of his time is spent sunning or eating. When the temps are above about 75° he will take a few laps around the yard. On cloudy, cooler days he spend hours sitting in the doorway of his box. His head sticking through the flaps while his body is in the warmth of the box. He is probably sleeping more than he does in the Summer, but he is awake almost every time I check on him during the day.
I'm glad to hear that London is not the only one with such a short day schedule

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Congrats, it's a boy. Yes, most torts are acting a little more sleepy now that some cold weather has been creepy in on everyone. I usually don't worry about it with my leopards, I just make sure they eat, which may also be less then normal and drink.

Thank you, it's good to know that this is normal and more due to weather.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
In the warm area under the CHI 95. About 87 in the warm area only. The other side is about 83. The box is
6x4

Hm, during the day even though it gets warmer 97'f in the whole box after the thermostat goes off( of course when is warm outside) I have to get him out because he stays inside sleeping. Every morning my husband feeds him and opens his door and still does come out. I feel like he is baking himself

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
How high is your box, Evy? If it's only 2' high then the CHE hanging straight down will be too close to London's shell.