HELP! baby sulcata not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyZlova95

5 Year Member
Hello im mike and I've had my tortoise for almost three months now and hes not growing! I feed him clovers, weeds, grass, and veggies from the store every now and then, i soak him 10-30 mins a day (depending if he stays still) his enclosure is 3*4 ft and hes only 2.5inches from ends of shell, and weighs 49.2 grams no change in three months.......idk what too do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: HELP!

Welcome to the Forum, Mike.

Heat plays a very important part in a baby tortoise's growth. Can you tell us how you keep the tortoise: hot side, cool side, hiding place, waterer, substrate, type of enclosure and anything else you can think of.

Most keepers of baby sulcatas soak them every day in a bowl they can't climb out of for about 15 minutes every day.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma

I am new to all of this myself. I would do what emysemys says, she knows a lot about helping sick tortoises. I would also look into getting your tortoise to a vet. Another member here, had a similar problem and it was worms. The worms were eating the food in its stomach and the tortoise died. I am not saying that this is your problem, just that you might want to check into it. Good luck with your little tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Hello and Welcome.:) give us the stats to emysemys questions and we might be able to help you tweak things to where they should be. Getting your tort checked for worms is a good idea too. Also, add Mazuri tortoise diet a couple times a week to your torts diet. Also, take a look at the threads at the bottom of my post. Great info for raising a smooth sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

How was the tortoise housed and started before you got him?

sullyZlova95

5 Year Member
He's in a 5x5 box in soil, and has a food bowl and water bowl, I soak him once aday and he eats zoomed diet food...his hot side is 87 cold side.is 74....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom said:
How was the tortoise housed and started before you got him?

I'll ask again... Do you know how your tortoise was started? What was the source?

Your temps are much too cool, and ZooMed is a fine addition to a varied diet, but the things you said you feed in your original post are better.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Exactly what tom has said temps are way too cool. Havve you read toms threads? Below my. Signature read the threads they will answer some questions...

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Mike, Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest you read Tom's threads about caring for baby tortoises. They are listed below. Lots of good, practical information.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Begi...z1tFmWpjdi
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Help...z1s7KwW130

You can also look in the Enclosure section for ideas on how you might improve your tortoise's habitat. How they are kept has a big influence on how they grow, how active they are, and how healthy they become.

And, Mike, it is possible that your tortoise has worms and that has slowed his/her growth. If you can take a fecal sample to a Vet to have them examine it for parasites. Usually it doesn't cost much and it is good to know that your tortoise is worm free.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yep it's too cold in there. Also, this might sound silly to some but i'm gonna ask...do you feed him daily? Does he have access to food all day? It's important when they're this small that they be able to eat all day long.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Try closing in the top somehow. Even one of those metallic space blankets or even tin foil across the top. Anything to keep the humidity and the heat in will help his growth!

Status
Not open for further replies.