Help! - Concerned New Owner

Harold10

Location (City and/or State)
Brentwood
Hi there,

I picked up my 9 month old Horsefield Tortoise on Friday 7th Sept and I have a few concerns over his behaviour. His length of shell is about 2 inches and when I got him home he was only 36g – he has now gone down to 35g. I have been soaking him everyday in warm water for 20 minutes to aid any dehydration anxieties and I offer him a variety of foods (weeds, flowers, watercress, carrot tops, kale, etc.) dusted with Nutrobal everyday and a cuttlefish bone for calcium. The problem is that he just doesn’t want to eat anything and doesn’t seem active. His basking temperature is 33 degrees but he spends the majority of his time sleeping. I’m just posting here to ask for advice and whether I just need to give him time to settle in. He has excreted a few times but his lack of appetite and weight is worrying me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Ellie

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

You could probably boost the basking temp up to 38-39 degrees.

He’s likely still just settling in, but it’s good to make sure.

Harold10

Brentwood
Hi, thanks for getting back to me - i'm so worried at this point. I just took some photos - he is currently in his hide but i thought i'd had him being weighed. He just seems so small.

Attachments

• IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    780.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 19

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There are a few things that need to be changed.

Your enclosure is too dry, and you’re using a very dangerous substrate. Change the substrate to damp coco coir or peat moss, and keep the enclosure as humid as you can.

The thermometer you’re using is extremely inaccurate, and right now you’re measuring the temperatures at the top of your enclosure. They’re likely completely different from the temps you gave me.

Get a digital hydrometer, and a temp gun or digital thermometer with a probe.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Your baby tortoise looks very dry. Are you soaking him/her in warm shallow water daily?

Harold10

Brentwood
Thank you - I got the tortoise hemp bedding from recommendation but terrified to know it is dangerous! - I also move the thermometer so its out of his way but when I took the reading I had it placed on the surface to get as accurate as possible. I will get another though - do you know where I can get the substrate in the UK? Thanks again.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you - I got the tortoise hemp bedding from recommendation but terrified to know it is dangerous! - I also move the thermometer so its out of his way but when I took the reading I had it placed on the surface to get as accurate as possible. I will get another though - do you know where I can get the substrate in the UK? Thanks again.

Local gardening centers and nurseries carry substrate. Coco coir and fine grade orchid/fir bark are highly recommended.

A new thermometer hygrometer reader is recommended. Cheap liquid filled gauges can be as inaccurate as 10-20+ (F) degrees if not regularly calibrated. A weather branded digital reader would a better choice. It may be off a couple degrees but it's still far more reliable than the one you currently have.

I also believe your tortoise looks dry. Raise the humidity levels in their enclosure.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Or this one? Sorry for the over-load of messages but I clearly need to do better for him - https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-m...8sRc_TDN7TUWec09uDUR-jmpIqmHzM_RoC2fEQAvD_BwE

Yes this will work. Though I have to warn you that commercially pet-branded substrate is often packed without cleaning. You're going to want to either bake, microwave, or use boiling water to kill anything left in the substrate before you start using it. It's also more expensive than what gardening centers, tractor supplies, and nurseries will sell them for.