Concerned about our tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooks

5 Year Member
We got a juvenile marginated tortoise a few days ago and he was very active initially. We have him in a 3.5x3.5ft tortoise table currently with about a 70f temperature on the cooler ends of the table with 40-50% humidity.

When we first got him home, he was very active and always running around. However, the last day and a half he seems to only want to hang around in one corner of his table (with the heat lamp)

We have fed him cilantro and dandelions so far that were dusted and have been giving him soaks but he just doesn't seem nearly as active as he initially was.

This is our first tortoise, is this normal? I'm not upset that he's not running around all the time, I'm just concerned this may be a sign that we're doing something wrong based on his activity when he first arrived. Would he just be kind of shy? Is it to cold?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know this species well, but what is your basking temp? Generally, if a tortoise of any species is staying almost exclusively under or very near the heat lamp, it is a good sign that its too cool. Ideally they should bask a bit, get their internal temp where they want it, and then move away from the heat source, and come back to it for more warmth periodically.

Pooks

5 Year Member
I don't know the basking temperature off hand, but I have a small plant near the lamp that he is shading himself under in the heat so I think it is of acceptable temperature if he is attempting to reduce it through the leaves?

He tends to remain about a foot away from the lamp, so he isn't using it to the full effect to maximize his heat.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I don't think he is reducing the heat via the leaves. More likely, the small amount of cover that the plant provides is a kind of shelter for him while he basks.
It is colder now. My tortoise outside is much less active than she is in the warmer months. I'm sure the ambient temp of the room goes down at night. Try a max/min thermometer to see how much the temp fluctuates. Maybe an additional CHE on a thermostat can bring up the temp in the room and the enclosure.

Pooks

5 Year Member
He doesn't seem to be eating at all either. He eats a lite here and there but not a significant amount. I've seen him going after small bits in his dirt (half topsoil half sand) while standing right next to his food.

As he's new, we've only tried cilantro and dandelions, thinking about trying a spring mix for his next meal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would absolutely add a spring mix for variety....if the tort is still new to you, they take time to adjust.....slowly.

You really need to get an idea of what your temps are in the basking spot as well as the coolest zone (it is good to have at least a basking spot of 95-100.. and if you keep higher humidity then the coolest humid area should not fall below 80, day and night)

I also would not recommend using sand as part of the substrate---especially if your tort is a dirt eater--as he is consuming sand with the substrate munching--sand settles in the torts gut in a bad way and can create impaction--which is a bad situation.

How often do you soak your tort in warm water soaks...?

Status
Not open for further replies.