Concerned about my Hermann's after a fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
My 9-month-old Hermann's tortoise, Knight, lives in a Zoo Med tortoise table on top of a dresser. He's about 2 inches long, maybe 2.5. We keep the top of the table locked.

Yesterday, he was nowhere to be found in his enclosure. I was sure he was buried in the substrate, but we dug it all out and he was gone. We searched around frantically and found him on the other side of the house, under a couch.

I have no idea how he escaped, and no idea how long that journey must have seemed to him. But I'm guessing he had to fall about 3 feet to get to the floor and take off. The floor is carpeted, and I don't see anything physically wrong with him. But of course now I'm worried, and I can't distinguish between normal tortoise inactivity and a possible problem.

What should I look for? Is this something they are known to be able to handle, or does he need to go to the doctor right now? We have given him a couple of soaks, and he does drink and move a bit.

Thank you!

abclements

5 Year Member
It all depends on how soft your carpet is. Is it soft and spongy or is it harder? If he fell, got up and walked off I think your tort is gonna be just fine. Make sure he's walking like he normally does, and if he's eating, sleeping and pooing fine, then he's good to go. Just keep an eye out for a limp or something.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
He is more than likely none the worse for his adventure... unlike you. You need to keep an eye on him and perhaps move his table to ground level to reduce the drop should he bypass security again.

Status
Not open for further replies.