HELP!!! (doesn't open eyes)

BPage6664

Location (City and/or State)
Zephyrhills Fl
Hi Everyone, I am needing some help!! I went to the repticon This past weekend. I bought my family a baby Tortoise. It is a African Spur. But When I got home I noticed it will not open its eyes. I have been reading things about it and Found that most says My baby is sick! :( Now I'm panicking and don't want it to die. Please help me on things I can do to get my baby better!!! Thanks

28418059_2025795974409754_276094575_o.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
First thing I recommend is giving your little tort a soak.
Take a plastic tub and set your tort in it. Add warm water(think baby bottle warm) you want it to come up just past where the bottom and top shell meets. Keep the water warm, and let your tort soak for about 30 minutes or longer.
Typing more...

Bambam1989

East Texas
Most breeders and tort keepers rely on old, outdated info and care.
This is some of the most up to date info and care for sulcatas (African Spurred Tortoise) read it and make adjustments to your care and enclosure. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Another helpful food site
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.WpRqMuCIY0M

Bambam1989

East Texas
I honestly cant remember the Vendors name! But i just looked on the Event Layout and the name of that table was called everything pets.
Hmm I found a website called everythingpetsupplies.com they sell live pets so it may be them. It doesn't look like they raise their own animals though, so they probably bought the tort from someone else then sold it to you.
I do not want to upset you but I do think you need to be informed..
Your young tort has probably been through a lot of stress and may just need some time to recuperate. But it is also possible that your tort was started dry or has been kept dry by the vendor. This can cause kidney damage and the hatchling will fail to thrive over time (it could be months before a problem shows up).
To give your tort the best chance of living and a long healthy life, please read those care sheets.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
To the warm soaks, you can add some baby carrot food and even a little pedialyte for rehydration.
When you take him out of his soak, make sure that he is kept warm and with the correct humidity level in his enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Of course, when you can do so, he needs to visit a good reptile vet!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
In a nutshell....Closed chamber is the best way to maintain humidity and heat. Basically a sealed box of some sort. You'll be opening it daily so don't worry about air. He needs at least 80(do 85 until he's well) degrees in every corner and niche of said enclosure. He'll need a basking spot of 95-100 that is on during the day....no coil bulbs. He'll need a source of heat(ceramic heat emitter) for night that keeps EVERYTHING 80(85 Right now). Clay pot saucer sunk into cocchoir dirt for water to walk into. RELIABLE Thermometer/hygrometer. Digital NOT dial. Hope I remembered the important stuff. Mix the cocchoir dirt with a bunch of water to make it wet all through. That increases humidity. We probably passed each other at the repticon.! Did you see to girls with black service dogs(poodle and lab)? They were with me...we were there on Sunday. Btw...Clay pot saucers are cheap at WallMart. Mazuri tortoise diet original NOT NOT the LS type....(says LS on bag. Torts tend to hate that version).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-41-08.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-41-08.png
    229 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-43-41.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-43-41.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Teresaf's post was very informative and helpful. Your baby should be fine if you follow her instructions.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Really hope this works out OK for the tortoise - he has all the help he can get as far as good advice!