Help! (dry new growth)

VWilliams

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
This is chelona. She is about 4/5 years old now. But just yesterday I saw this on her shell and I don't know what to do about it. It's very dry and flaky. Not sure how to counteract this.
She is acting normal otherwise. Very active eating drinking and pooping normal

JPEG_20190912_175453.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks pretty normal for a dry climate. How are you housing her? Does she burrow in summer? Do you have a heated, humidified night house? How do you heat the tortoise at night?

VWilliams

Arizona
That looks pretty normal for a dry climate. How are you housing her? Does she burrow in summer? Do you have a heated, humidified night house? How do you heat the tortoise at night?
I am in the process of building her a very rough house. She does love to burrow in the summer. But with the monsoon season I have to dig her out since where she burrows tends to collapse. I don't have a night house yet.But I have plans on making something for her for the winter. I don't have a night house or heater since it was summer and I check to make sure she is some where warm at night and if it rains or is a storm I bring her inside with some heating

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That just looks like a very, very dry shell to me. The new growth is dry and cracked. It might help if you take a Q-tip and paint the growth seams with cold pressed coconut oil. Allow the oil to absorb for about 15 minutes then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. Be sure to polish it all off because it attracts ants.

Once you get the night house built, you can add a container of water inside to help with humidity in there.

@Tom : Why do you s'pose these sulcatas that have been raised in dry Arizona conditions are all growing such nice, smooth shells, when we're touting they need to be raised in monsoon conditions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That just looks like a very, very dry shell to me. The new growth is dry and cracked. It might help if you take a Q-tip and paint the growth seams with cold pressed coconut oil. Allow the oil to absorb for about 15 minutes then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. Be sure to polish it all off because it attracts ants.

Once you get the night house built, you can add a container of water inside to help with humidity in there.

VWilliams

Arizona

Thank you!! I will try that and update you all