help (Elongated Tortoise with MBD)

loriluvsbonkers

5 Year Member
OMG! Please help find her a better home then I’ve been giving her. Honestly, I love her but I just don’t know what I’m doing or have been doing. I’ve tried to correct her problem a lot time ago, but as you know, the results can be slow and I was probably doing more harm then good. It’s hard not to trust a vet, but as I’ve found out……. I can’t. The problem from the start is that 1 vet said she thought she was an elongated and they are endangered so she didn’t know what other tortoise to compare her to as in for care. I live in Colorado. There is only so far I can drive with her and I know I can not get her on a plane legally.
Without a doubt, she needs a better home then me☹️

pacific chelonians

Location (City and/or State)
SanDiego California
OMG! Please help find her a better home then I’ve been giving her. Honestly, I love her but I just don’t know what I’m doing or have been doing. I’ve tried to correct her problem a lot time ago, but as you know, the results can be slow and I was probably doing more harm then good. It’s hard not to trust a vet, but as I’ve found out……. I can’t. The problem from the start is that 1 vet said she thought she was an elongated and they are endangered so she didn’t know what other tortoise to compare her to as in for care. I live in Colorado. There is only so far I can drive with her and I know I can not get her on a plane legally.
Without a doubt, she needs a better home then me☹️
Sent you a pm

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I know. And that’s the problem☹️ I live in a small valley. I have traveled as far as 2hrs one way to see a vet that wasn’t helpful.
I've been by Silt many a time on the way to & back from Lake Powell. We just moved from Boulder last year to Oklahoma. Would it be faster to go to Salt Lake City? You wouldn't have to go thru the mountains, so it might be faster to get there even though it's further.

And many have experience with MDB here on the forum so don't be shy about asking questions.

grizzclan

Lakewood, CO
Utah isn’t too bad. Where would you be coming from?
Good luck with her the people here on this site are great and will definitely help you!! I live in Colorado myself I love that you have tried to do everything for her I can tell you really love her! Please don't be so hard on yourself!!

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
Just to follow up on all the previous good advice... this is indeed an Elongated Tortoise with severe metabolic bone disease, and agree that a vet will be of limited value unless it develops an obvious infection. You do need to set this animal up in a large controlled environment where you can better adjust and maintain humidity, temperature, and diet. I've kept this species, and the care (as noted) is very similar to the Red-footed Tortoise, so you can follow the recommendations for that species. While obtaining calcium and phosphorus levels would be academically useful, you could save money by just assuming that this tortoise has been deficient in calcium and vitamin D, and needs a diet built around healthy greens (from list previously noted) with modest amounts of fruit, chopped veggies, and moderate protein (such as a dab of high quality dog food once or twice a week).

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This is really sad. Please have a read of the care sheet. You tortoise looks very dry . I really recommend some shallow soaks in warm water in a high sided container this will encourage hydration around 40 mins daily or 3 times a week. As mentioned MBD is painful so focus now is comfort and improve conditions and diet for him.

loriluvsbonkers

5 Year Member
This is really sad. Please have a read of the care sheet. You tortoise looks very dry . I really recommend some shallow soaks in warm water in a high sided container this will encourage hydration around 40 mins daily or 3 times a week. As mentioned MBD is painful so focus now is comfort and improve conditions and diet for him.
I bath her every other day. Changing water every 20min. And I have a humidifier on high. If I could only get solid dos and don’t without vague answers. It would be soooo much easier. Overall, I’m just not the owner. She deserves better

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You got some solid do's and don't's from JTH above - DO set the tortoise up in a large controlled environment where you can monitor the humidity and heat. DON'T worry about going to the vet - not needed. DO follow the recommendations found on the redfooted tortoise care sheet (care is the same). DO feed a diet built around healthy greens (from list previously noted) with modest amounts of fruit, chopped veggies, and moderate protein (such as a dab of high quality dog food once or twice a week).