help finding info on the shell growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sussex, WI
I've been trying to find something on here about the shell growth. Like what it looks like etc etc. What is bad, what is good etc etc.

I just noticed a slight change of color in the bottom row and I am wondering about this now. Just like a worried mom hey? lol

ANY info or threads appreciated!

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I find that I can see the new growth that on myHermanns looks a lighter and stronger colour. It might that this is what you are seeing on the 'bottom row'. Healthy shell growth is firm - any area of soft shell is a concern. We should remember that the tortoise can feel pressure on the shell before we poke them about too much.

Generally speaking the shell should be relatively smooth and if the scutes are very raised this can be due to excess protein or other dietary problems. Many tortoise books contain gruesome pictures of deformed and rotting shells. Most of us would notice such problems if we check our animals over regularly, and it can also be useful to compare what ours look like with photos of healthy specimens.

I hope this helps a bit. There are many people more qualified than me to comment but I noticed they didn't!

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Both of my turtle & tortoise books don't show any pictures like that :(

You mean "smooth" like if you had your eyes closed and were just gliding your ringer across the shell you couldn't feel any difference between the shapes (for lack of better description).

I do have a feeling he was getting too much protein from that tortoise "dust". I cut that out completely like 2 weeks ago when I found out it was made mostly from Alfalfa. And we have only had him for a month and a 1/2.

Just took this picture the other day ... and I attempted to circle the part I was talking about. And those 3 little dashes are where the ridge is. Like where it dropped down (again for lack of better description).

Attachments

• Pebbles goes trick or treating.jpg
    Pebbles goes trick or treating.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 49

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Its very difficult to get growth as smooth in captivity as the wild ones have. I think your little tort looks lovely, I wouldn't worry too much about slight ridges. Keep an eye on the weight gain, I weigh mine every couple of weeks and write it down. Some humidity is also thought to be helpful rather than a totally dry environment.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Pebbles Mom, there a a number of posts on this forum where pyramiding is discussed. Captive Hermann's tortoises are often susceptible to pyramiding, or raised scutes. Though diet is thought to be a contributor, recent evidence suggests that water relations are equally - if not more - important. As Ozric mentioned, a humid hide or a humid area that the tortoise can retreat to is essential for maintaining appropriate water relations, particularly within the first two years of the tortoise's life.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Michael, Thanks for the reply.
I am thinking I should change my humid hide. It is currently half a box, but I keep a tiny bowl on top of it with wet paper towel in it. Humidity has been 50ish the last couple days. I am not sure that is holding humidity well enough. I will have to come up with something before the snow starts to fly and the really dry weather comes!!

I will look for more good reading on pyramiding too!

Status
Not open for further replies.