HELP FOUND AN INJURED TORTOISE

foundatortoise122

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
So I found this tortoise in my yard. It is very tiny. It’s back two legs are basically shriveled up and it has a cracked shell. What do I do? I am definitely willing to keep it as a pet if you guys think that is ethical since I love animals. Are the injuries too awful. Should I take him to the humane society to be put down? I have no clue what to do. Please help! Also, what’s the breed of this tortoise?

D1D745C7-8917-4BAD-9927-73836354FED4.jpeg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Looks like a very young sulcata. I would take it in and give it a long, warm soak right away. I'm not really sure on the best course of action, let's wait until others chime in.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How about photos of his legs? He is a Sulcata...is he walking? A warm soak is right for now....but we can't help without better leg shots...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd definitely take it to a vet for injuries like that. If that isn't an option, then the local humane association should be able to take it and get it fixed up.

foundatortoise122

Hawaii
So I found this tortoise in my yard. It is very tiny. It’s back two legs are basically shriveled up and it has a cracked shell. What do I do? I am definitely willing to keep it as a pet if you guys think that is ethical since I love animals. Are the injuries too awful. Should I take him to the humane society to be put down? I have no clue what to do. Please help! Also, what’s the breed of this tortoise?
How about photos of his legs? He is a Sulcata...is he walking? A warm soak is right for now....but we can't help without better leg shots...
I'd definitely take it to a vet for injuries like that. If that isn't an option, then the local humane association should be able to take it and get it fixed up.

UPDATE: just posted pictures of the injuries and soaked him in warm water for a bit

C33B85FE-A8B8-4C98-A8B8-6A4453A9B841.jpegE1F2B291-DB77-4840-9F0D-746326B844E3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is a life threatening injury and needs to be seen by a qualified tortoise vet. Even if he survives the injury, infection could claim his life. So antibiotics are in order.

Oliverland

Virginia
Definitely take it to the vet. It looks a little dehydrated so maybe offer it some water

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Holy crap! That's is a bad injury...an exotic Vet could help...but the local humane society I'm not so sure...Our Wild Life Rescue always calls me for tortoise injuries and I don't know squat...

Oliverland

Virginia
You might want to bandage up those wounds a little bit to try and keep anymore infection out of his shell.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Very sad. So glad you are willing to help him. Keep soaking him in warm water to flush out bacteria until you can get him to the vet. Good luck and please keep us posted. ?

Livinlavitaboca

Boca Raton
He needs a reptile vet not a regular vet. I hope you are located where you have access to one. Keep us posted.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, i see that fly as well. Hopefully the vet can prescribe a good strong gooey antibiotic(antiseptic that can be worked into all the scute areas to fully coat any exposed soft tissue. Poor thing.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Oh that's awful. Please try your best to get this guy to a reptile vet. I can't imagine

?