Help! found mold!

azureween

Location (City and/or State)
california
I found mold underneath the tortoise bowl this morning and my tort has been having weird squeaking noises and boogies. I took them to a vet and they just gave me antibiotics but sadly my tort is still squeaking. I then was checking the substrate and it had fuzzy mold underneath. I did not think about lining my enclosure with plastic given that the underneathe is wood. Please let me know what to clean with and if I replace all substrate. :( my tort is 2 years old and is eating like a loy and has been pooping regularly so I am not sure if that means anything.

Please help :(
from a concerned mother.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would replace the substrate. What are you using now?
Use coconut coir and/or orchid bark.
I would clean the wood as best you can with a watered down bleach solution and then line it with plastic shower curtains or other plastic then put down new substrate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of substrate are you using? How much “mold” are we talking about? Are you sure it’s mold & not mildew.

Personally i wouldn't remove all of the substrate. Sounds like you have some growing right under the water dish - a nice wet warm spot. Ideal locations for things to grow. Id clean up that bit of mold, remove some substrate in the area. Depends on what substrate you are now using? Add some cypress mulch or orchid bark-type mix.

Check your temperatures & humidity at tortoise level.
Is the enclosure fully enclosed?

azureween

california
What kind of substrate are you using? How much “mold” are we talking about? Are you sure it’s mold & not mildew.

Personally i wouldn't remove all of the substrate. Sounds like you have some growing right under the water dish - a nice wet warm spot. Ideal locations for things to grow. Id clean up that bit of mold, remove some substrate in the area. Depends on what substrate you are now using? Add some cypress mulch or orchid bark-type mix.

Check your temperatures & humidity at tortoise level.
Is the enclosure fully enclosed?
the enclosure is not fully enclosed and the humidity level is 35% but I might need a different humidity measure because I have many many plants in my room and I do not believe its 35%? The mold isn't a lot it was just fuzzy mold at the bottom of the water dish .. temperature is 81-90. I am using reptile bark i believe it is coocnut husk

azureween

california
Yes, I would replace the substrate. What are you using now?
Use coconut coir and/or orchid bark.
I would clean the wood as best you can with a watered down bleach solution and then line it with plastic shower curtains or other plastic then put down new substrate.
I use coconut bark and ya! youre right I am going to buy the lining today! Also the enclosure isnt enclosed is this a major problem? The enclosure is perfect just no top though

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Respiratory infections are caused by cold temps. Your tortoise needs a large closed chamber with warm temps and high humidity, not antibiotics.

Please read both of these: