help! hair in tortoise poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i have a 2 year old leopard tortoise that i've had for about a month now. i soaked him today and noticed his poop was following him :D i pulled it out but it kept coming with more poop 0.o not sure what to do ! should i soak him longer? keep pulling it out? D:

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Sooo....I had this same problem with one of mine about a week ago. I was so worried! I left him in the soak a little longer and warmed the water up a couple times and when he pooped I would gently tug the hair until I felt resistance. I cut off the hair (leaving 3 inches or so) and panicked until the next day when I soaked him again. When he pooped the next day in the soak I did the same thing and noticed it came out on its own! I then watched him like a hawk the next few days to make sure he was eating and pooping...all is good for now!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it hair or mulch? If hair, how would he get it. Unless you are letting him walk around your house. Which I would gather is one of the reasons it's not recommended. If its mulch, maybe switch it out for the fine coconut coir that like sawdust, not the fiber kind.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
wellington said:
Is it hair or mulch? If hair, how would he get it. Unless you are letting him walk around your house. Which I would gather is one of the reasons it's not recommended. If its mulch, maybe switch it out for the fine coconut coir that like sawdust, not the fiber kind.

Mine was def hair! I don't know how on earth he got it but I imagine it could have just falling off in the enclosure or fell off when I was making their food.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
This has happened with Brains and Tootsie roll! Def hair :( my hair seems to just be everywhere! I've been trying to put it in a ponytail when I'm doing stuff in their enclosures. Sometimes, I forget... Maybe I'll get a lunch lady hairnet;)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Laurie said:
This has happened with Brains and Tootsie roll! Def hair :( my hair seems to just be everywhere! I've been trying to put it in a ponytail when I'm doing stuff in their enclosures. Sometimes, I forget... Maybe I'll get a lunch lady hairnet;)

Haha! Good idea!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Laurie said:

HOT!!! Hahaha!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A new trend for tortoise owners. "Tortoise Care Hair Nets". I'm gonna be RICH!!!

I'll have to make the little beard catcher ones forte men with facial hair too.....

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Tom said:
A new trend for tortoise owners. "Tortoise Care Hair Nets". I'm gonna be RICH!!!

I'll have to make the little beard catcher ones forte men with facial hair too.....

:D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Tom said:

Ok I'm in! You provide the initial investment :p

Status
Not open for further replies.