Help! - heating a tortoise table

Mitchy789

Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire
Hi All,
I was hoping for some advice about keeping a tortoise table warm in the evening. I have a little Hermann (2yrs) and have a 100w heat bulb in which is on all day and the temp does reach around 33/34c - however at night he goes in the hideaway which is cold, it’s hard As my house isn’t the warmest either.

I was considering a heat mat for and putting this on the wall? To boost the temp up at night and he doesn’t wake up freezing. I know they are cold blooded, therefore need heat to get them moving.. I’m just a little worried - can anyone help??? Thanks

Bee62

Germany
Hi All,
I was hoping for some advice about keeping a tortoise table warm in the evening. I have a little Hermann (2yrs) and have a 100w heat bulb in which is on all day and the temp does reach around 33/34c - however at night he goes in the hideaway which is cold, it’s hard As my house isn’t the warmest either.

I was considering a heat mat for and putting this on the wall? To boost the temp up at night and he doesn’t wake up freezing. I know they are cold blooded, therefore need heat to get them moving.. I’m just a little worried - can anyone help??? Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Why don`t you use a ceramic heat emitter for night heat ?
It produces warmth but no light.
I mean such a thing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCPK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Hi All,

Definitely opt for a ceramic heat emitter. I ran into the same trouble because I'm from NY and most of the time it's pretty cold here. I have ZooMed's terrarium controller, which I use for both daytime and nighttime heating. I leave the daytime heating on the timed outlet side for a regular on-and-off cycle, while I have the CHE on the switched outlet side that stays on all day (I can just flick the switch off if I feel it's unnecessary to run the CHE at that moment). At nighttime, the CHE maintains a very comfortable 80 degrees in the area where my tortoise sleeps

Greta16

Western Maine
Unless your house gets below 50 degrees F at night your tort doesn't need night time heat. They need a cool down period at night, just like in the wild.