Help (how do I clean tort's eye?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellemaxwell_

5 Year Member
there seems to be something in my tortoises eye, how do I get it out without hurting him?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
RE: Help

Can you see it? Flush with water.

arotester

5 Year Member

pics would give us a clear idea how to help you.
But you shouldn't try and do it yourself ,let the vet to it for you.

ellemaxwell_

5 Year Member

it's like a little white bit, it's at the very edge of his eye

arotester

5 Year Member

you can try soaking them , torts rub there eye when it gets wet but be sure that it's not anything solid in there.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My little tort had something in his eye for a couple days and I got it out by dripping warm water on his head to soften it up and used tweezers to pluck it out

ellemaxwell_

5 Year Member
I have bathed him and he rubbed his face with water with his legs and it's away :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Contact lens solution is a mild saline/cleaner formulated to go into eyes, and clean-off protein buildup on the contact lens. It will dissolve mucus and re-wet the eye with a sterile liquid. If some gets in the nasal passage etc, it further helps rewet and clear that bit of the upper respiratory tract (from the nostrils to the inside of the mouth). It works very well.

Will

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
ellemaxwell_ said:
so that wouldn't hurt him? x

I guess you are asking me about the contact lens solution? You could buy Wardley's turtle eye drops, but Bausch and Lomb sterile solution is people safe, which is a higher QC standar than what is used for animal products.

Odds are you may have some already, and for 'safe' I have used it on the few occasions a tortoise got something in its eye, and was wiping with a forefoot. The tortoise seems to not care, and I imagine the relief from irritation is well received.

Researchers use a 'sterile saline' to get cultures of nasal passages fro tortoises frequently. The contact lens solution has enzymes to make discharge dissolve and rinse away more readily.

On the rare occasion a tort gets something in its eye I find it safe. I would not use it daily as would be the case for people, we tear at-will almost, torts don't have that capability.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.