HELP! How to keep bedding from drying out.

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
Hi everyone.
I have a leopard tortoise and a three-toed box turtle.

I've always had an extremely difficult time from keeping the bedding I use from drying out. I've tried many different kinds. I'm going to try a fir and sphagnum peat moss mix.

Any suggestions on keeping the bedding from drying out? I do spray/mist at minimum once a day, but usually twice.

Please help!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Misting only wets the very surface. Pour water directly into the substrate and then mix the water in with your hands and Pat down.
Is your enclosures closed chambered? This would help hold the heat and humidity inside where it belongs. If you provide pics of the enclosures we could possibly make recommendations to improve them.
Fir bark I believe is a good substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just the name of the game. We all have that "problem." Heat causes evaporation. You have to have heat for your tortoise, hence you will get evaporation. I pour a pitcherfull of water over the substrate and mix it up with my hand. As it dries out, I pour more water.

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
Misting only wets the very surface. Pour water directly into the substrate and then mix the water in with your hands and Pat down.
Is your enclosures closed chambered? This would help hold the heat and humidity inside where it belongs. If you provide pics of the enclosures we could possibly make recommendations to improve them.
Fir bark I believe is a good substrate.
This is how it looks. The warmer side is on the left, the cooler side on the right.20170701_171347.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . but if your baby leopard is in with the box turtle, I wouldn't allow a 'cool' side. He should have 80-85F across the board, day and night.