1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Help? I have a dehydrated turtle?

Discussion in 'Terrestrial turtles' started by Reece, May 23, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Reece

Reece New Member

I have recently aquired a yellow belly slider from a lady. Now it seems to be that this lady didn't know much about turtles. She had had this turtle for 10 years or something like that. The only problem is that she had kept this turtle in a dry enclourse. Something close to what you would keep a Russian tortoise in. He looks very dry on his she'll and looks dehydrated. I need advise on what I should do. I have him in a tank with fresh water with a filter and a heater

P.s. these are pictures of her tank IMG_20180521_072920097.jpeg IMG_20180521_072917823.jpeg
  2. orv

orv Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Aguanga, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    First of all . . . WELCCOME to the Forum. Could you possibly post a clearer picture of your turtle? I have some question as to it being in the Slider grouping. His carapace certainly resembles that of a box turtle which is a forest turtle rather than a water turtle. For now, please do not submurge him in water. I hope that others may be of assistance here as well. I hope you enjoy ouur forums, there's lots to learn here.
  3. Reece

Reece New Member

Here are some more pictures 1527136627587.jpeg 1527136618074.jpeg 1527136606493.jpeg
  4. orv

orv Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Aguanga, CA
  5. Reece

Reece New Member

Even though he has the webed lick feet and scaley protective shell. He is still a box tortoise?
  6. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
    i would say a central american wood turtle , p.manni .........
    PJay likes this.
  7. daniellenc

daniellenc Well-Known Member

Maryland
    You can still soak him to rehydrate. Just use a shallow Tupperware type container with enough warm water to cover midway up his shell. Looks like a box turtle to me as well but maybe @Yvonne G can offer more insight
  8. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    That looks like a wood turtle not a slider.
    vladimir likes this.
  9. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

This turtle you have is definitely not a slider. It does NOT have webbed feet, plus the shell shape is that of a terrestrial turtle, not an aquatic one. It is a turtle rather than a tortoise by virtue of the smooth skin on the head rather than scales.

It does not appear to be a North American Box Turtle of any species with which I am familiar, so perhaps Central American Wood Turtle is the correct ID. I am not familiar enough with that species to make a positive ID, but I do know what it is not.

I will say this one doesn't seem to have the red lines on the head and neck which seem to be present in most photos of Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima. Here is a typical example of one: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/turtles/OrnateWoodTurtle.php

Another note, if you have the turtle in a tank set up for an aquatic slider now, you probably need to rethink that idea before it drowns. It needs a moist land area and a small pool of water in which to soak if it so desires.
    MissMarg&me likes this.
  10. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
    it is without question p. manni [​IMG]
    PJay likes this.
  11. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I agree with you, I just wasn't sure since one in his post hasn't got the red face and neck markings like the ones in your photo. Is it related to what sex they are?
    mark1 likes this.
  12. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    @mark1 is correct, and he knows these turtles. Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima mani

@zovick The coloration can vary from reds to oranges and is also an indication of condition and diet.
    mark1 likes this.
  13. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

Port Charlotte, Florida
    Well, I would be thrilled to not have a slider.... I don't like dealing with all the water they need. I'm a tortoise girl ; )

I think these are terrestrial that like shallow water, right?
    Eduardo Hernandez and PJay like this.
  14. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
    they do love humidity , and they spend a lot of time in shallow water , they are not real strong swimmers ......... yours is a female ........ when mine are outside their water is in one of those plastic hot water heater catch basins , looks like about a 36" diameter , 2-3" deep .... they have a heated box and know to use it , they also have a heat lamp over their water , they are outside in northern ohio from the first of may to about the first of november . they eat grape leaves , rose of sharon , dandelions , plantain , romaine , any fruit , vegetables , dog food , fish or turtle pellets , worms , mice , fish.......... they eat a larger variety of stuff than any type turtle i've ever had ............ give her a good diet , lots of water and get her outside in the warm weather if possible , uvb bulb if you can't , they are colorful turtles and she'll brighten up with better care ........
    MissMarg&me and PJay like this.
  15. Hutsie B

Hutsie B Active Member 5 Year Member

NC
    I agree that it is a p.manni, I have four of them and have had three toed boxies before. It's markings on it's shell show it to be a central american wood or painted turtle. they are both land and water turtles, but not deep water.