I need help! took in abandoned turtle

Morgan Taylor

• Hi I decided to make this account to ask for help. I've recently rescued a tortoise/turtle who was abandoned, and I have no idea how to care for her. I have experience with reptiles, right now I have a 2 year old bearded dragon and two other red eared slider turtle I've had since I was 10. I love these animals and I wanna do all I can for my new family member. First off, she isn't eating. She drinks plenty of water and isn't dehydrated but I just don't know what she'll eat! I've tried all kinds of different vegetables and the most she's taken nibbles out of is lettuce. I need any and all advice you can give me. Her living situation is a relatively small 20 gallon tank that was my bearded dragons when she was a baby, she's not very big so it works for her now. I take her outside with me in my yard a lot and I've never even seen her grazing. Secondly, I don't know what kind of tortoise/turtle she is. I'll attach some photos of her to this forum. Another important thing I should mention, is that when I found her she had mites. I've treated her and she's in an all her tank with fresh beddings but I know they can leave long lasting damage behind. Ask any questions that I haven't covered please. I need all the help I can get!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you? How was it abandoned? Those are native to many parts of the US.

Mites are uncommon in captive chelonians. How did you treat them?

These guys need a big shallow water dish to soak in and they are omnivores.

You need a much bigger tank and try dropping an earthworm in front of him. What do you feed your beardie? Some of the same stuff will work. Squash the head of a cricket or dubia roach and drop that in front of the turtle. The wiggling legs will sometimes stimulate a prey response.

Morgan Taylor

I am in California. My mom is in property management and someone ran out on their apartment rent and left a cat, a guinea pig and this turtle behind for about 3 weeks in the heat. One of her coworkers took the guinea pig and we had to give the cat to our local shelter. I treated the mites with a spray I got from the reptile room once a day. She had her own enclosure but I got rid of it, I didn't wanna risk them still being in it even after I washed everything. Whenever I feed my bearded dragon I offer the same things to her, and she shows no interest. In fact before I made this post I had attempted to give her some yellow squash. About her enclosure, would it be okay if I made her a pin outside? And do you have any idea what she might be? @Tom

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Morgan and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I'm not quite sure what type of land turtle that is, but it's very beautiful.
Good luck with it's care.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A gorgeous tort. GOD bless. Take good care of it.

And a very warm welcome to the forum. Don't worry-you'll get all the help you need here.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I am in California. My mom is in property management and someone ran out on their apartment rent and left a cat, a guinea pig and this turtle behind for about 3 weeks in the heat. One of her coworkers took the guinea pig and we had to give the cat to our local shelter. I treated the mites with a spray I got from the reptile room once a day. She had her own enclosure but I got rid of it, I didn't wanna risk them still being in it even after I washed everything. Whenever I feed my bearded dragon I offer the same things to her, and she shows no interest. In fact before I made this post I had attempted to give her some yellow squash. About her enclosure, would it be okay if I made her a pin outside? And do you have any idea what she might be? @Tom
I hate people that do that!!!! Gargh! They really make me mad. I'm glad to hear that you and your mother were able to help the animals before they died in that apartment.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
thank you for all your help!!
No problem. I can search for more information, if you like.
Personally, I like the idea of doing an outdoor enclosure if your area can support the correct temps and humidity levels needed by this super colorful species. Something like 6' X 8' should be good for one turtle. They appear to be a bit more aquatic than box turtles, while still being terrestrial turtles. So I would suggest a long and wide semi-shallow pond/water source. They also appear to like a lot of cover to feel secure. Spider plants and others are good for this.