HELP I THINK MY TORTOISE HAS FLEES IDK WHAT TO DO

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
HELLO sorry to panic but I just seen this..

I have recently changed the bedding 2 days ago hence where I presume it came from but what the F are these things.

I don't know what to do and I am panicking.

What do I do, do I order new substrate again? fully hoover everything out? I really don't know!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
That video is better. I don't know what they are but they probably did come from the he substrate. I don't think flea. I'm have gnats in my turtle and tortoise enclosure. It won't harm him. Some people boil and dry the substrate before using it. @wellington @Yvonne G should be able to help with the bugs. Don't panic please. Cute tortoise and help is on the way!

Kisobel

United Kingdom
That video is better. I don't know what they are but they probably did come from the he substrate. I don't think flea. I'm have gnats in my turtle and tortoise enclosure. It won't harm him. Some people boil and dry the substrate before using it. @wellington @Yvonne G should be able to help with the bugs. Don't panic please. Cute tortoise and help is on the way!
Noted for next time!

Thank you so much

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
HELLO sorry to panic but I just seen this..

I have recently changed the bedding 2 days ago hence where I presume it came from but what the F are these things.

I don't know what to do and I am panicking.

What do I do, do I order new substrate again? fully hoover everything out? I really don't know!
Hello! :)

On video it's not 100% clear how do they look like. But I guess these are springtails. They often live in tortoise enclosures, eating various waste there. So they are your little helpers and useful cleanup crew. They can come with new substrate or some other way (even when you bake substrate in the oven they eventually will be there again). Once they do initial "deep cleaning", their population will naturally reduce to a minimum.

They don't do harm to you or your tortoise. But look gross, I understand.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Don’t panic, substrates unfortunately do come along with unwanted guests from time to time, majority of them are completely harmless.

To limit this happening you can actually bake the substrate, I haven’t tried the baking myself just yet but plan doing our next batch.

We had some teeny tiny white bugs in our substrate when first moving our red foot into a big new upgrade, we told our vet about them and she wasn’t concerned, over time there’s less and less, I only notice some in the deeper layers, they no longer crawl on our tortoise and she certainly doesn’t seem bothered by them.
Lots of folks even say after the baking they can slowly return, it’s because we’re creating small little eco systems with moisture and heat, bound to happen sooner or later I guess🙂

Not sure what these guys are but maybe others can help, I’m sure they’re nothing to worry about😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't tell what they are but not likely fleas. Substrate gets bugs, specially once under the conditions we need for our tortoises
If you bake the substrate, 200-250 for 3-4 hours, this helps hold off bugs for a long time,months to year.
Be sure to spot clean daily.