HELP identify tortoise specie, please

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
My neighbour got this from another of my neighbours. It was in bad condition... my neighbour said it felt slippery and there was lots of dry skin all over and the claws were really long and one of the back legs didn't work. When a piece of the beak fell of she took it to the vet to cut it down, but the vet refused since they didn't work with exotic pets! She has tried to find info, but doesn't really know how or where to look.

I told her I would help.
She got some stuff from the other owner, including a UVB light, but I told her the priority is daily soaks for 30 min to get rid of the rest of the dry skin, and calcium supplements. The tort eats well, but it needs a better diet as well as proper temp.20170917_tort1.jpg 20170917_tort2.jpg

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
My hubby volonteered to help my neighbour if she couldn't trim the beak on her own.

I'll have a look at the Hermanns, thanks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think it's a Hermanns tort, though not sure. Am not a tort expert.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's a Hermann's tortoise either T. h. boettgeri or T. h. hercegovinensis but a plastron shot is needed.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
It's a Hermann's tortoise either T. h. boettgeri or T. h. hercegovinensis but a plastron shot is needed.
I think it might be boettgeri if I remember the plastron coloration correct. Sorry no pic of that.
BTW at what size is it possible to tell the gender of a Hermann?

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
What does he/she weigh? That might help as well if you are not able to provide a plastron shot but it will be a boetgerri or Hercegovinensis.

Around 5 years or approx 300 gram you should be able to tell the sex

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
We don't know the age, but I'll ask my neighbour to weigh the tort. If it's following the basic rules of torts, then at this point it looks female... flat plastron, short tail.