Help Identifying Type and Age?

Flyinbabymonkee

Location (City and/or State)
South Jordan, Utah
Hello! I just got my tortoise, Tortellini about a month ago. I've been religiously reading this forum for starter information and other questions for months. I just recently took my tortoise to the vet to get his blood tested as well as doing a fecal sample. Everything came back fine and they say he's a healthy tort. However when I asked them what type of tortoise he was, they seemed unsure and threw around the possibilities of him being a Greek, Russian, or Leopard. Is there anyone who can tell me what type they believe he is? He is also very secluded and very rarely comes out of his hides, is that normal? Is there anything I can put in his enclosure to make exploring more fun? The vets also didnt help with giving a rough age estimate so if one has that, that would be amazing!! Sorry that he's a bit wet in these pictures, I had just given him a soak. Thanks in advance!!!20181005_135442.jpg 20181005_135447.jpg 20181005_135451(0).jpg 20181005_135459.jpg 20181005_135509.jpg 20181005_135517.jpg 20181005_135544.jpg 20181005_135442.jpg 20181005_135447.jpg 20181005_135451(0).jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
That is definitely a russian tortoise, and it is virtually impossible to tell age without a hatch date. It’s definitely an adult, though. Where did you get it?

Please give these a read if you haven’t already-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Could we see a picture of his enclosure? Please keep in mind that he needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Flyinbabymonkee

South Jordan, Utah
Oh thanks for the fast replies! I got him from Petsmart so I'm assuming hes closer to 3 years? Yah I might have to look around for a better exotic vet Haha. So he's currently in a 4x2 wooden enclosure, I was under the impression that that was a decent size? Would he be ok in there for another month or so until I can build him a bigger one? 20180917_104532.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
4x2' is really too small. Get him something bigger ASAP and also make a large outdoor enclosure for nice weather.

Looks like you got some of the typical bad pet store advice. No red bulbs or cfl UV bulbs should be used. Its all in the links we left for you.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh thanks for the fast replies! I got him from Petsmart so I'm assuming hes closer to 3 years? Yah I might have to look around for a better exotic vet Haha. So he's currently in a 4x2 wooden enclosure, I was under the impression that that was a decent size? Would he be ok in there for another month or so until I can build him a bigger one? View attachment 253398

Petsmart tortoises are wild caught, and usually around 4-30+ years old. There’s really no telling age.

Flyinbabymonkee

South Jordan, Utah
Thanks for all the feedback! I made Tortellini a new enclosure!! Its 8 by 2 feet in the back and 5 by 1 foot in the front approximately :)

I'm disheartened to hear that Petsmart tortoises are wild caught, I was afraid of that however I really grew attached to Tortellini and just had to have him. I know hes going to have a better life with me than Petsmart though!! I've noticed hes been much more active in this bigger enclosure however he is still very anxious. Of course I've only had him about 3 months, I'm sure he'll do better the longer I have him!!

I've been using ecoearth because I heard pretty good things about it being used in Tortoise enclosures but now I'm starting to really notice that most people recommend cypress mulch for adults. What do you guys think? Should I switch?

Any fun recommendations for additional things for Tortellinis home? I'm thinking about adding a pretty low 2nd level so he can climb and jump (I got it into my head that they like to jump off areas, any thoughts?) and hopefully some live plants in there as well.

Thanks everyone!20181105_222919.jpeg20181105_222925.jpeg20181105_222930.jpeg

Flyinbabymonkee

South Jordan, Utah
Thanks for all the feedback! I made Tortellini a new enclosure!! Its 8 by 2 feet in the back and 5 by 1 foot in the front approximately :)

I'm disheartened to hear that Petsmart tortoises are wild caught, I was afraid of that however I really grew attached to Tortellini and just had to have him. I know hes going to have a better life with me than Petsmart though!! I've noticed hes been much more active in this bigger enclosure however he is still very anxious. Of course I've only had him about 3 months, I'm sure he'll do better the longer I have him!!

I've been using ecoearth because I heard pretty good things about it being used in Tortoise enclosures but now I'm starting to really notice that most people recommend cypress mulch for adults. What do you guys think? Should I switch?

Any fun recommendations for additional things for Tortellinis home? I'm thinking about adding a pretty low 2nd level so he can climb and jump (I got it into my head that they like to jump off areas, any thoughts?) and hopefully some live plants in there as well.

Thanks everyone!View attachment 256350View attachment 256351View attachment 256352
Also I know that it's still just a bit too small but that's all I can give him for the indoor enclosure. However I'm going to make him a HUGE outdoor enclosure for the summer months :)