Help identifying weeds

Kylee

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello this it my first post on the forum. I just wanted first of all to say thank you. Because of the forum our first week with our new 7 month old leopard tortoise Suki has been a success!! We have access to tons of pesticide free weeds and we want to take full advantage of it. But I'm so nervous that I will misidentify something and hurt our baby.
The only thing I feel comfortable identifying is aloe and hosta. I thought I knew dandelions too till I got on the identification link on the forum. Now I'm not too sure lol...
So if anyone could help me with this
much thanks from my family to yours. 20200506_123306.jpg20200506_123235.jpg20200506_123216.jpg20200506_123156.jpg20200506_123146.jpg20200506_123138.jpg20200506_123130.jpg20200506_122947.jpg20200506_122910.jpg20200506_122849.jpg20200506_122714.jpg20200506_121945.jpg20200506_122502.jpg20200506_122505.jpg20200506_122520.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow.....that’s quite the assortment of plants/weeds. All kinds of stuff, plantain, dandelion, dock, vinca vine, creeping charlie, clover, last one looks like honey suckle, next to last with yellow flower prob strawberry, dark purple flower is violet. There’s also a (White) Oak tree there...oak for sure, not certain on White Oak...

It would be best to label them.... it would be easier to provide info.

Kylee

Missouri
Wow.....that’s quite the assortment of plants/weeds. All kinds of stuff, plantain, dandelion, dock, vinca vine, creeping charlie, clover, last one looks like honey suckle, next to last with yellow flower prob strawberry, dark purple flower is violet. There’s also a (White) Oak tree there...oak for sure, not certain on White Oak...

It would be best to label them.... it would be easier to provide info.
Yes so many!! I'm overwhelmed trying to figure them all out! Since this is my 1st post I wasn't sure how to label them... can I edit my post?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes so many!! I'm overwhelmed trying to figure them all out! Since this is my 1st post I wasn't sure how to label them... can I edit my post?
Not at this point; you’d have to make a new post with the numbers. You basically attach the files to the post first. Then you go make a blank line and number it 1, 2, and so on. Put your cursor after the number and click on the green button that says “full image.” That should drop the image where you want it. If it doesn’t, just delete the photo wherever it happened to land and try again. You’ll have to make a new blank line and number for every image you want to add. I like to enter a couple of blank lines in between every photo to make sure I get a little space around things. You can preview it before you post to see how things look and then you have maybe a half hour to make corrections after you post. Takes some trial and error.

That’s still best but let’s see if we can knock out a few more before you make the new post.

I do not know #1.

I don’t think I know #2, it might be dock but I don’t think so.

I think #3 is wild carrot; have you ever seen it flower? It has a large flat groups of white flowers at the top of the plant. For now, rub some in your hands and see if it smells like carrot. It’s safe in moderation; your tortoise may not eat it.

#4 is a clover, safe.

#5 is also a clover.

I believe #6 is horseweed. Nonedible and will shortly grow into a hideous monster; pull it!

#7 is a dandelion or a relative, safe.

No idea on #8.

Agree #9 is vinca, generally agreed to be unsafe.

#10 might be chickweed but I’d check it against some other images on Google, it doesn’t grow where I live so I’m not good at identifying it. Chickweed is safe, if that’s what it is.

#11 is plantain, safe.

#12 looks like creeping charlie to me as well. Opinions vary on this plant. No reason to feed it as a new owner.

#13 is violet, safe.

I believe #14 is a buttercup; I’d have to see a flower in good shape to be sure. Buttercups are fine for the Testudo species (Hermanns, Russians, etc.) but gets a lot of warnings about toxicity elsewhere. I wouldn’t feed it to a leopard, to be on the safe side.

And finally, no idea on #15.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
Hi Kylee,
Welcome to the forum. I would love to know what #1, 2, 6 and 11 are too because we have tons of those in Georgia.

3. wild carrots - looks just like a plant I have from a seed mix I bought from Tortoise Supply
4. clover
5. clover
7. dandelion, I believe
8. the seedling of tree but I don't know the type
9. Vinca - toxic to tortoises
10. chickweed, I believe
12. Henbit - feed sparingly, looks a lot like deadnettle which is safe
13. wild violet - the purple flowers with the glossy heart shaped leaves (it looks like there are other weeds growing in and around violet)
14. wild strawberry - check Tortoise Table plant database
15. no idea

I like to check the website of a master gardener named Walter Reeves. He has a whole section on weed identification. He also directs you to websites from with great weed pictures. One of them was the University of Missouri (weedid.missouri.edu) so maybe it would give you weeds that grow in your area. I look at the pictures and then check the Tortoise Table plant database to see if the common weeds in my area are safe.

walterreeves.com/lawn-care/weeds-identification-with-pictures/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I’m pretty sure No 15 is Honey Suckle - just hasnt opened up yet.
No 14 is Wild Strawberry
No 8 is definitely an Oak tree seedling.

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
Hi Kylee,
I am starting to doubt my answer on #3 wild carrots. It looks like ragweed too, which is a “feed in moderation “. Wild carrots are a “do not feed”. Wow, this can be so confusing!

Kylee

Missouri
Hi Kylee,
I am starting to doubt my answer on #3 wild carrots. It looks like ragweed too, which is a “feed in moderation “. Wild carrots are a “do not feed”. Wow, this can be so confusing!
Yes its so hard!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hi Kylee,

Hi there. I’m almost certain No 3 is not/not ragweed. The leaves are too lacy, whereas ragweed is more scalloped.
Here’s a good info page & pix of ragweed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These three are all safe and good to feed, but I'm not sure about the rest.
20200506_123146.jpg
20200506_123130.jpg
20200506_122714.jpg

Clover, type of dandelion, and broadleaf plantain.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I believe that picture 1 and 2 and number 7 are chicory. My sulcata loves them. Here in San Diego they grow all year long with very little effort. In picture number 4 there is clover, and maybe some medic. My sulcata eats more medic than clover. Although when he grazes the medic to the ground he will go after the clover. Clover and medics look a lot alike, their flowers are different though. Number 6 is horse weed and should not be fed. Picture number 10 is pimpernel. I usually see tiny red or pink flowers on them. Not good for torts. My sulcat will avoid eating any areas where they grow.