HELP!!! I'm scared!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just took Sparkles out for soaking. I noticed before I soaked her that her left nostril looked clogged or just odd to me. I soaked her for a few minutes and saw that the "clog" was loose so I grabbed the tweezers to get it off for her and now she has a big hole in her nose!!!! What is this? What did I do? How do I treat it? I'm sooo scared for her!!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
pics:

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

sorry they are fuzzy..I took them with my phone.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Sparkles needs to get to a vet asap. It seems she has had a nasal infection for awhile. Thats why that piece fell off.
Keep us updated as to how she's doing.

Danny

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and hopefully they can get me in!! I have her paper towels right now because I was worried about substrate getting in her nose. I'm so worried!!!!
Thanks Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Good luck with Sparkles at the Vet tomorrow, hopefully you have caught it in time. Definitely keep her on paper towels.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have been something like a piece of grass or a sticker or something that lodged in a nostril and caused pus to form around it...then the pus hardened and that's what you picked off. At any rate, he'll need a course of antibiotics to be sure there isn't any infection left. Also, the vet will put your mind at ease about what's actually happening there.

Yvonne

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I feel so bad. I had no idea!! She had been treated for a RI. I thought she was doing well. She eats well.
I will let you all know what the vet says. Poor little baby.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Good luck - hope everything goes well! We will be thinking about you!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Coldliz said:
I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and hopefully they can get me in!! I have her paper towels right now because I was worried about substrate getting in her nose. I'm so worried!!!!
Thanks Danny

I think putting her on papertowels and keeping her off substrate was a wise move. I am sure your vet will work you in. Poor Sparkles. Good luck to you both. Keep us informed.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok, sorry it took so long for an update. I couldn't get in to the vet until 6:00. Anyway, the vet said her nose will be fine. He gave me some triple antibiotic to put on her nose for the next 20 days. He said its probably just from her rubbing her nose against the enclosure.

Other problem was, she's lost weight!!! Last time weighed was November she was .79 grams. This time she was .71 grams. I'm not sure how she lost weight. She eats great and she eats twice a day.
He said to nix the coconut fiber substrate. He said it causes impaction. So, I need to come up with another substrate I guess. He said to use Alfalfa pellets but I'm not so sure about that. I was thinking of using the some of the Orchard grass I bought. Would that be ok? Is it possible for that to catch fire from the heat lamp? Can it hold humidity at all? Although she is a Sulcata, the babies need more humidity don't they? He said I need to up her temps to get her to eat more.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am glad that Sparkles will be okay. Do not use alfalfa pellets because they mold. I have experienced this when I first started with my torts. I have used sand/soil mix but I am changing this to shredded aspen bedding. Danny uses this with all of his torts and I trust his opinion so I am giving it a shot. He also gave a great suggestion for a humid hide. He said to take a plastic flower pot and cut it in half from top to bottom. Glue a sponge in the pot and keep moist. I think this is a brilliant idea, as many others did also, and intend on also using this for my leo babies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, I'm glad she will be ok too.

ah yes!! I remember reading about the sponge trick, thanks for reminding me.

Is the Aspen bedding digestable?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Danny said that it passes right through. He uses it for all of his at all ages.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use aspen for my russians and my sulcata when they are inside.. I also put some orchard or timothy at one end because mine like to hide under the hay instead of the hide logs. I found my sulcata did much better when I switched him to aspen (per Danny:) ). As far as the nose keep an eye on it, my three toed has one large nostril in the shape of a heart do to a sinus infection that was not treated before I received him. But it was great that you could get him in so fast!!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
For right now I'm going to use the Orchard grass. I already have it so I might as well use it up.
I'll tell you, I get more and more confused on how to care for her each day that passes!!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Coldliz said:
I'll tell you, I get more and more confused on how to care for her each day that passes!!

Dude! I hear you!!! It seems like the more we learn, the harder it is to care for these critters!!!! Isn't it supposed to get easy with knowledge?!? LOL! I guess it's with "time and experience" that it starts to get easier. I hope so, anyway!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I think I have 2 red ears :p
I do use Aspen on all my tortoises that don't need high humidity. I've never had a problem with them passing any aspen they have eaten. I do feed on paper plates to lessen the chance of them eating to much.
It never molds and is easy to spot clean. It's also fun to dig in. :D
I'm glad Sparkles is going to be fine. :D We are trying not to confuse you Liz :D

Danny

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I hope so too Kelly!!!!!

Oh no Danny you have been very helpful!! It was the vet that actually confused me. Breeder said to use the coconut. Vet says Alfalfa, others say no to Alfalfa. Oi!!!!
In your opinion Danny would the Orchard grass be ok for now?

Oh and I guess since I'm calling you all by your first names I should tell you mine, its Melissa. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.