My tortoise is sick : (

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefrz_x

5 Year Member
So I have a. 6 year old African sulcata and out of no where she stopped eating. Even her favorites! She definetly doesn't seem right. Also I have noticed that her pee/goopy stuff that comes out of her is a pinkish redish color, which I thought was weird because it is usually white/clear. I'm really scared and love her so much!! So if anyone can help me out with why she is sick or what is wrong with her I would really appreciate it!!!!! HELP US WERE SCARED!!! I'm making a vet apt tomorrow but I would really like some feed back!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First, I know your worried, but take some deep breathes. As for the pinkish color, let's rule out some of the simple things first. Have you changed her diet? Has she been eating lots of dandelions or beet greens by any chance?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you live? How is the tortoise housed? What are your temperatures? What are you feeding? How often do you soak?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
have you ever had her checked for parasites? take a fresh poop sample to the vet and have it checked...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello there, stefrz_x:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

There are so many questions. We need much more information before we can even give you a guess as to what's wrong.

In the meantime, warm her up to at least 80F.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad you are taking her to the vet. I agree with Laura, take a really fresh fecal sample to the vet with you. Let us know what the vet says. Best of luck to you with your tort.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

I would say to give him a warm water soak and keep his temps no less than the 80°like Yvonne suggested....is his "pee/cooky stuff" like toothpaste texture or more chalky like?

stefrz_x

5 Year Member
First of all thanks so much for all the feed back!! And second to answer some of the questions live in Chicago, her pee is goopy not chalky, i have not changed her diet to much. I was also wondering what everyone else is feeding there African sulcata's? Because I feel like every time I think I'm feeding her the right stuff I'll read something new that it should be something else. it's really hard to give her all the grasses I've read about to feed her, especially in Chicago. I keep her in a cage at night but during the day she likes so walk around my loft and sun bath in front of the window. Suggestions on anything I just listed would be greatly apreciated!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You mentioned oyu let her walk around your apartment, she could have possibly eaten something, that either disagreed with her, or is making her sick. Sulcatas are just like children they love to try and eat everything.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i would not allow her to roam free.. they get into trouble that way and its cold on the floor.
Spring Mix salad ia good food if you can pick weed or they cant graze. Outside in the sun is the best for them. they dont benefit from the sun thru a window.

M

Maggie Cummings

I know you are trying to do right by her, but crawling around on the floor with access to eating anything that you don't know you've dropped is not right. Paper clips, produce twisties, dust bunnies, ad infinitum. She may have stopped eating because she is not warm enough. Take off all your clothes then lay down in the middle of your kitchen floor. See how cold the floor feels? That's what's happening to your tortoise when she is plopped down on your cold floor. She should never get colder than 80 degrees and you know that floor is cold to her. Even if it's not actually quite that cold, it feels that cold to her. So first thing I would advise is to stop allowing her to crawl around on your floor unsupervised. Get her to a Vet asap. I'm betting that she's simply too cold. Anybody taking bets on that?

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I'm sure everything will be fine. Definitely answer toms questions on temps. From my little experience when they get cold they defiantly slow down. No worries in my opinion of how you keep her in your loft if that's how she has always been kept, maybe a heat lamp would be more beneficial for her.. My 6 yr old was kept in a large fish tank until I got her and even though I found it to be unsatisfactory she was happy and content..

stefrz_x

5 Year Member
So I went to the vet and found out she is very constipated : ( but we got it under control. Thanks for the help!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
canned pumpkin,, no spices,, works great for that if she is eating...
good luck!

constipation vs blockage... if she ate something wrong...
what did the vet recommend? mineral oil? enema? xray?

stefrz_x

5 Year Member
We got x-rays and she was severely blocked up. So then he gave her an enima and got a lot out I'm suppose to give her medicine by mouth to help it come out but she won't let me give it too her and she hasn't pooped the whole time since I brought her home and the vet said if that happens to go back on Monday. So I guess I'm just gonna take her back. It's sooo sad all she does is cry because she so uncomfortable : (

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi stefrz_x:

clean out your bath tub real good, then put in some warm water. Not too deep, but deep enough to come up halfway of her shell. Walking around in the warm water, trying to get out of the tub, will help loosen her up. Leave the tortoise in there for at least half an hour.

Just for your own future knowledge, tortoises become blocked or constipated because they aren't getting enough water in their diet. Having a water dish in the habitat sometimes isn't good enough. Some tortoises don't make use of standing water. You may have to place her into a tub/big bowl of water every day to make sure she's staying hydrated. For at least 15 minutes each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.