HELP. is his eyes ok?

Jnon03

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
IMG_0109.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg

So I’ve had him for maybe two months now, and have recently noticed his eyes look a little different, I’ll leave some Info for so you know abit more but any help please.

• A Hermanns tortoise
• will only eat lambs lettuce, won’t touch anything else.
• rarely comes out of his house
• has a 10.0 UVB Lamp fluorescent lamp desert UVB 15w, as well as a heat lamps (on for 10-12 hours a day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they are not normal
What are you using for heat?
What kind of substrate?
Try to run water over his eyes to flush.
You must get him to eat other foods, it's a must! Get better foods and chop it up fine along with finely chopped lambs lettuce. Mix together and spritz with water. Do this until he starts to eat everything and then slowly put in more of the better/different foods and use less of the lambs lettuce. You need to do this until he eats other foods.
It's a must that he eats more than just lambs lettuce.

Jnon03

Hampshire
No, they are not normal
What are you using for heat?
What kind of substrate?
Try to run water over his eyes to flush.
You must get him to eat other foods, it's a must! Get better foods and chop it up fine along with finely chopped lambs lettuce. Mix together and spritz with water. Do this until he starts to eat everything and then slowly put in more of the better/different foods and use less of the lambs lettuce. You need to do this until he eats other foods.
It's a must that he eats more than just lambs lettuce.
IMG_9674.jpeg
This is his encloser. It’s a mixture of stuff. For heat I have a heat bulb,

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of heat bulb?
Where is the bulb for uvb? And what kind is it?
That guage is useless and to high. You need to get a digital and put it at tortoise level.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What is your substrate? Certain wood chips can also cause eye irritation.

Jnon03

Hampshire
What kind of heat bulb?
Where is the bulb for uvb? And what kind is it?
That guage is useless and to high. You need to get a digital and put it at tortoise level.
Is there a way I can directly message you, I have a few photos and stuff I’d like to send.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is there a way I can directly message you, I have a few photos and stuff I’d like to send.
Click the envelope button at the top, click on start conversation, type in the name.

Kevboosh

California
Glad you took my advice and came to tortoise forum. There is lots of great guides and helpful experts here. Hope your little guy gets better soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
• has a 10.0 UVB Lamp fluorescent lamp desert UVB 15w, as well as a heat lamps (on for 10-12 hours a day.
Is this a cfl type screw in bulb? This is likely your problem. Those bulbs sometimes burn tortoise eyes and should not be used or sold. Turn it off ASAP. If the light burns his eyes, he won't want to come out of his house. Also, the UV should only be on for a few hours mid day. The heat lamp needs to be on a timer and it needs to be on for 12-13 hours a day, unless you want your torotise to start brumating prematurely due to short days.

All of the substrates you've got are the wrong ones. Get rid of those ASAP. Wood chips are too dry ad dusty and they will mold of you get them appropriately damp. The rocks are too dry and difficult to walk on, and when he gets bigger, they might be swallowed. The worst one is the "Pets At Home" stuff with the sand and limestone bits in it. Whoever thought it was a good idea to encourage a torotise to eat sandy soil substrate by putting little bits of calcium in it is an idiot and should be smacked upside the head. I cannot understand why all the pet shop people over there selling it have not figured this out. Mind boggling.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet and the heating and lighting breakdown at the bottom. We will help you save your tortoise: