Help Is this pyramiding?

DaygonWolf

Is my sulcata tortoise baby starting to pyramid? ImageUploadedByTortForum1392060435.544999.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392060476.480877.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392060490.215060.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392060503.230167.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes he has the start of pyramiding . Go to yhr top of the sulcata section and read Tom's post should fix your problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its not "starting". Its been happening for a long time. Its not too bad and its still stoppable at this point.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
yes he is. May I ask what the distance is between the top of his shell and the lights you use? Also what lights do you use?

DaygonWolf

U just got him yesterday so in setting up a light today the place that had him he was in a 10gal aquarium and light was right at top of lid and they had hard dirt. How high up should the light be?

And exactly what type of light do you suggest

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
How high up should the light be?

And exactly what type of light do you suggest
[/quote]

Well, there has been an extensive debate about humidity on this forum and how it prevents pyramiding. I feel that a big part of the pyramiding comes from lights being to close to the tortoises. I have put my lights at such a height that the heat it gives off will not reach temps of more then 90 degrees Fahrenheit on the surface it shines on. This means my lights which are 150 Watt bulbs are up 1.5 feet. I also have a wet humid hide which I heat up with a roofed heat panel and is filled with wet spagnum moss (I call it the Sauna) which will go up to 100 F. I also stopped feedig my torts every day, but now feed them every other day (slowing down their growth). However they always have grass in their enclosure to graze on. You can see pics of my table in the link in my signature. I have made some changes though, Instead of just having grass, I have added plants in the grass that provide shade and I have added 2 more caves where they can hide. I will update the plan soon. I have the feeling that bringing the lights up has had a major effect on preventing pyramiding. I had one tortoise who started to pyramid, but since I made the changes it has stopped and it is smoothing out.

DaygonWolf

Thanks so much for all the information you have given me I just read that we will have possibly up to 4 or more inches of snow so I will have to pick up the correct substrate and a ceramic light or whichever one will be best Thursday or Friday if the roads end up not being closed then I will get it tomorrow thanks everyone for All the info it was horrible how the people where I got him treated them having more then 6 baby sulcatas in one 10 gal with a long bulb right on the top with hard pack dirt substrate and probably no uv or sun at all it's really sad and they fed them romaine lettuce!!! Horrible!!! This is probably why he is pyramiding but all that will be fixed this week :) he will have a great life and we're already in the process of building his huge enclosure outside when he gets bigger :) it's so exciting! He's gonna be a huge part of are family! I will give him a good at the most 4 hours a day of sun bathing and grazing once it gets warm outside!!! Are weather in Georgia has been so weird lately!