Help! I've Inherited a Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.S

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hello all! I am in need of some help getting started with a tortoise, and I don't know too much about taking care of it, and I want to give it a good home!

This is what I do know: Many years ago, this tort wandered into my Grandmother's yard in Anaheim, (Southern) California. After checking around to see if it "belonged" to any of the neighbors, she adopted it and named it Matilda. Matilda has been with her ever since. Now I don't remember ever visiting my Grandmother and Matilda not being there, so Matilda has been in our family at least 30 years. Unfortunately, my Grandmother recently had a stroke, and had to leave her home, leaving no one to take care of Matilda, so I volunteered, out of respect for my Grandmother and fondness for Matilda.

Matilda's care was pretty basic as far as I know. My Grandmother put out lettuce every day for her. I don't remember a water dish, but from reading the forums, there must have been one. Otherwise, Matilda lived outside all the time, roaming around the backyard and patio at my Grandparent's house. She had a little box to hide in, and when she stopped coming out of it in the late fall, they would take the box into the garage and Matilda would stay there until spring. I see from what little reading I've managed that "hibernation" is not really recommended, but this is how it was as far as I know. My Grandmother can no longer speak, so I can't ask any specific questions.

I live in Los Angeles and have a suitable (I hope) yard of a similar size to my Grandparents. She has been hibernating until recently, and my
Father drove her up to my place over the weekend. I have put her out in the yard and she has done some exploring, alternating between sunny and shady spots on the lawn.

I have attached some pictures of Matilda below. She is about 10 1/2" long (based on the "how to measure your tortoise" forum technique.) For starters, I am hoping for help identifying what kind of tortoise Matilda is.

Also, what should I be immediately concerned about? I have been putting lettuce and water out every day, but I can't really tell if she's eating or drinking much yet.

Finally, I have citrus trees, a plum tree, an apple tree, and an avocado tree. Do I need to be concerned about Matilda eating fruit that drops on the ground? I've read fruit can be bad for torts.

Thanks to everyone in advance. This forum seems like a friendly place, and I look forward to reading and learning more about Matilda.
mt_mtdla.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
You have a california desert tortoise, and a nice looking one to boot.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Fortunately, you are almost certainly near a member or branch of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club- www.tortoise.org

They can help with cares or with finding it a new home if you want.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Matilda's care was pretty basic as far as I know. My Grandmother put out lettuce every day for her. I don't remember a water dish, but from reading the forums, there must have been one. Otherwise, Matilda lived outside all the time, roaming around the backyard and patio at my Grandparent's house. She had a little box to hide in, and when she stopped coming out of it in the late fall, they would take the box into the garage and Matilda would stay there until spring.

I would strongly suggest replicating this pattern (with the addition of a water soaking/drinking dish and/or in the warm months simply set out a sprinkler when she is out and she will likely go to it and swat at the ground a bit and then drink and they enjoy the water spraying on them to cool off)

Brumating (hibernating) is absolutely fine...as well as this beautiful, healthy, bright eyed beauty is proof of simple is good....please do reconsider not continuing this part of her life----your grandmother honored her regular cycle of life and brumating in the wild is a huge part of that complete cycle....some will disagree...but this beautiful Matilda is absolute proof in the pudding that it works for her....just remember in the winter that she is in the garage and don't run the car in the garage for any length of time....:p

It has been awhile since I have seen such a majestic female ....wow, she is beautiful and kudos to your grandmother....I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother and you have done a wonderful thing on her and Matildas behalf....just replicate dear....

Oh and Welcome to the Forum :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D I don't know much about the kind of tort you have, except she is a beauty. Will will find all the correct info and help you will need on this forum. Good luck. So sorry about your grandmother. It is a great thing you are doing in taking care of her tort.

Mr.S

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks all for the welcome messages. @dmmj and @Madkins007 -- I appreciate the species ID and reference to CTTC. There is a chapter meeting not far from me this Friday night, so I will go check it out. @ascott-- I appreciate the advice. I see on the CTTC care sheet for Cal. Desert Tortoises that they also recommend the hibernation just as my Grandmother did it. I should never have doubted she knew exactly what she was doing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mr. S:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum.
cdt are awesome tortoises, my cousin has one!
Do you plan in keeping it, looks great :)

blackbird

5 Year Member
Coastal San Diego
Hello and welcome! :)
I'm sort of new as well but I just had to pop in and say that your Matilda is a real beauty. Best wishes, and I hope you enjoy the forums- I've learned so much around here. ^^

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sorry about grandma...you are doing a nice thing and inherited a great friend..
pics of your yard? you might want to secure an area for her.. she should graze on grass and weeds, and not eat much fruit.
they can dig, and will escape if your fences have issues...
NO DOGS is a must..
for a water hole.. you can bury a large flower pot base,water catcher or a plastic garbage can lid. make is ground level so she can walk in and out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How far are you from Grandma's house? Is it the same climate? Are you near the beach?

One important detail is that they lose a lot of hydration while hibernating. It is important to give some warm water soaks when they first wake up. I do it every day for two or three weeks. It helps rehydrate them and flush them out. You need a tall sided tub of some sort and some warm shallow water. 20-30 minutes a day is enough.

Also, they need a varied diet. "Lettuce" is not going to be enough. Look into weeds from a safe location. Dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawks bit, etc..., Free and much better than store bought stuff. Sometimes they will eat grass too. Try hibiscus leaves and flowers, spineless opuntia pads and fruits, jade plant, mulberry tree leaves, grape leaves, rose leaves and flowers, the list is endless.

Too much fruit is a concern. A little once in a while should do no harm, but a lot of it for weeks at a time might be an issue.

M

Maggie Cummings

She is an absolutely beautiful California Desert Tort ...(Gopherus agassizii). Welcome to the forum and please accept my condolences about your Grandmother. But I have a question...If nobody knew what species she is, how are we sure what sex she/he is? Just askin, she may be a male...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Old man could make some beautiful babies with her:D

I would agree....but alas, they are not destined for one another....but what a great match....:p and he is such the strong silent type...lol

how are we sure what sex she/he is? Just askin, she may be a male...

I enlarged the pic as much as this laptop will go....maggie, when I look at the shape and angle along with how far beyond the gular the head hangs when comfortable extended I was inclined to think female...however, unless I have my little hands on the tort I can never actually tell for 100% certain.....lol...hey lets ask...

Mr. S, How was it determined that Matilda is a Matilda and not a Mat???? :p I believe Matilda...but I am not able to tell for sure...

Mr.S

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Yes! I definitely want to keep her. We don't have any other family pets, so she's got the run of the yard to herself. Mostly the yard is fenced in by concrete block, with some sections of metal, square tube fences. I checked all the metal fences for clearance, but I did not consider digging.

We are pretty well inland, as was my Grandmother. We do get some overnight & early morning "marine layer" cloudiness, but it burns off early--usually no later than 10. BUT, I am not in the valley, so we rarely see temps over 90.

As for sex, I really have no idea. I wasn't around when she was named, so I don't know if anyone ever knew. She is _slightly_ concave on the underside, but she also has a very small tail. I will post pictures of these soon--any other parts I should photograph up close to help with the sexing?

As for the warm bath, I will try that tomorrow. Should I put it out and let her climb in, or pick her up and place her down in the dish?

Also, thank you Tom for the suggestions on diet. One thing I noticed on the CTTC site is that they have Avocado seeds and leaves on their toxic list, but the details are vague. We do have an avocado tree that hangs over our deck. Matilda hasn't shown any interest in that part of the yard yet, but she _could_ get over there if she tried. Does anyone have any specific experience with Avocados?

Status
Not open for further replies.