Help!!!! Just Rescued Sulcata

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
I rescued my first sulcata 4 weeks ago. She is at least 5, came to me at 812 grams with pyramiding. They thought she was a Russian all these years. They kept her in s tiny fish tank with no uvb, feeding her tomatoes and ice berg lettuce. She is now 862 grams.

I have so many questions and don’t know where to begin. I’ve been soaking her every day for 25 minutes in 95 degree water. I do use organic carrot baby food two times per week. I feed her mostly grasses/Hay with organic greens and flowers to supplement. I sprinkle her food with TNT daily. I try to keep humidity at 80 and her basking area at 95.

My friend is building her an enclosure. It’s almost done. It’s 81x36x18. I am confused how many heating bulbs I should have? Can I mount 2 24 inch uvb strips wit lights on the sides? I will get a pc of slate for her to feed off of. She will have a hide area that is 18x36. I keep my house at 72 for her.

I’ve purchased Seeds from Carolina Pet Supply. I ordered a grow light and will plant them this week. I lost her 3xs daily as well as stir up the soil and rewet while she is soaking.

What else do I need to do? What is the best and most affordable uvb strip to get? Which bulbs? What substrate do I use in her hide area? I am using zoo med coco coir currently. How deep

Should it be? She is 6 inches.

I am so overwhelmed. I’ve always had Russians. I thought that’s what she was. When I got there, I couldn’t leave her in a glass fish tank with cedar chips eating tomatoes. I’m here to learn and appreciate all the input you can give me! I love Delilah already and I’m committing to giving her the best life I can. Thank you so much!!

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Thank you!!! It’s the least I could do!! I hope I can get her new growth doing better!! She’s eating well and a lot. I’m just confused about the lighting. I’m going to try to upload some pics of “her”

Attachments

• 988DF26B-E6A8-49AD-AF51-4CD460054AC2.jpeg
    988DF26B-E6A8-49AD-AF51-4CD460054AC2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
She sounds like she is really lightweight. The long uvb bulbs are fine. You should have a covered enclosure to keep heat and humidity in. You'll need to provide heat day and night. A CHE or two on a thermostat is good for heat without light. You'll need to pour water into the substrate and mix it around every day in order to get the humidity you'll need.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
It sounds to me that you are starting right, giving her a bigger enclosure and better foods. I am dealing with the same problems in that one of my babys is starting to pyramid. I have added more moisture like you are doing and feeding more grasses and hay with the other foods, mazuri tortoise diet, bunny rabbit food bits and suggestions from this forum. Are you in the Carolinas? I am from Greensboro NC. anyhow

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Thank you all. I am in Buffalo, NY. I am misting the enclosure three times a day and adding water once a day when I mix up all the CoCo Coir. The humidity stays right around 80. I currently have one heat lamp and a UVB bulb. I will use 2 strips on her new enclosure and two heating Lamps. I leave both on 12 hours a day. I weigh her every Wednesday, hopping she gained weight again!! I will take some more pictures of her tonight and upload!

I have read the information and it is great.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You should only need to mix water in with the substrate every few weeks.

Take all the decor out. Tip water in from a jug. Mix with your hands. Repeat until all the substrate is evenly damp - right to the bottom and into the corners.

Spraying will help to slow the rate of drying, but even with the surface drying out, the damp substrate underneath will keep the humidity is raised.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They all grow at different rates. Don’t be impatient. If she has a good appetite, bright eyes and is active there is little to worry about

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Can we see a pic of the tortoise and enclosure?

The florescent tubes need to be mounted over head and not on the sides.

72 is too cool at night, especially with humidity. Use a ceramic heating element, or two, set on a thermostat to keep temps above 80 day and night.

Here are a couple more threads in addition to the one that Maro2Bear linked for you:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Thank you! She eats A LOT, way more than my Russians did.

One more question, her new enclosure is 81x36x18. I am thinking 18 inches for her hide, is that good? Should it be bigger or smaller?

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Hello and welcome.

Can we see a pic of the tortoise and enclosure?

The florescent tubes need to be mounted over head and not on the sides.

72 is too cool at night, especially with humidity. Use a ceramic heating element, or two, set on a thermostat to keep temps above 80 day and night.

Here are a couple more threads in addition to the one that Maro2Bear linked for you:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thank you!

She is in my pic, she is 6 inches. I plan to upload more tonight. New Enclosure is being built now. It is 81x36x18. My house is 72 at night, I have a ceramic heating bulb i will start using at night. I will get another as well for the new enclosure.

I will try to figure out what to add to the enclosure to mount it above, Thank you!

On the New Enclosure, I should have 2 heating elements for day and night correct?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your new enclosure will still be too small 81 x 36 (assuming we are taking inches) is 7’11” x 3’. You might get away with it for a very short while, but your Sulcata is 6” and will quickly grow a lot more. We recommend 8’x4’ for a Russian. You need to think BIG for a sulcata.

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Your new enclosure will still be too small 81 x 36 (assuming we are taking inches) is 7’11” x 3’. You might get away with it for a very short while, but your Sulcata is 6” and will quickly grow a lot more. We recommend 8’x4’ for a Russian. You need to think BIG for a sulcata.

Thank you. I will have to do this for now though. This was all very sudden and I did not anticipate getting her, or the incredible expense. I am doing the best I can right now. I live in an apartment. I do not have a long term plan but I will get one in the near future. I just knew I could not leave her in a 20 gallon fish tank with cedar chips being mistreated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you aren’t likely to be moving to somewhere with a yard/garden in the next two years then I would find a new home for this sulcata. You are definitely trying your best, and mustn’t feel guilty, but this sulcata needs space and will soon be too heavy to lift

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!

She is in my pic, she is 6 inches. I plan to upload more tonight. New Enclosure is being built now. It is 81x36x18. My house is 72 at night, I have a ceramic heating bulb i will start using at night. I will get another as well for the new enclosure.

I will try to figure out what to add to the enclosure to mount it above, Thank you!

On the New Enclosure, I should have 2 heating elements for day and night correct?

Your new enclosure size will do for now. Don't worry too much about that. As you said, its better than a 20 gallon.

What will make your life much easier is if you make a closed chamber instead of an open topped enclosure. You can't keep heat and humidity in the enclosure where you need it with an open top. A closed chamber will make better living conditions for your tropical tortoise species and it will allow you to use much lower wattage bulbs to prevent desiccation and use a lot less electricity.

Something like this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Your new enclosure size will do for now. Don't worry too much about that. As you said, its better than a 20 gallon.

What will make your life much easier is if you make a closed chamber instead of an open topped enclosure. You can't keep heat and humidity in the enclosure where you need it with an open top. A closed chamber will make better living conditions for your tropical tortoise species and it will allow you to use much lower wattage bulbs to prevent desiccation and use a lot less electricity.

Something like this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Thank you very much! I will do this because I know it is better for her. Selfishly, I had shot down the idea initially because I wanted to be able to see her. However, I Love the idea of putting a lid over the top. I did buy Plexiglas for down the one side so I could still see in. I could just do the top with hinges correct? How much of a wired area should I have for the lighting?