Help lost Russian tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesers2

5 Year Member
Help! I got a Russian Tortoise, Lilou on August 5 so Im pretty new to how good they are at escaping and on Thursday she got out of her outside play area. I have looked everywhere for her and would like some tips to help find her. Since she has been missing it has rained everyday and is cloudy. Will she still come out of hiding when its raining or just wait it out? I live in Iowa and the temp is already dipping into the 50s at night will she be ok? I hung up a flyer at the only business in town, the post office, and have told most of the neighbors around us. How far will they travel a day also? Thanks for any advice!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm sorry that I can't offer you any advice but I REALLY REALLY hope that you find her!!! :(

tesers2 said:
Help! I got a Russian Tortoise, Lilou on August 5 so Im pretty new to how good they are at escaping and on Thursday she got out of her outside play area. I have looked everywhere for her and would like some tips to help find her. Since she has been missing it has rained everyday and is cloudy. Will she still come out of hiding when its raining or just wait it out? I live in Iowa and the temp is already dipping into the 50s at night will she be ok? I hung up a flyer at the only business in town, the post office, and have told most of the neighbors around us. How far will they travel a day also? Thanks for any advice!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They will burrow when it is cold, so it will be difficult. They can travel, but quite often they are right under your nose. Go over every area you have checked again, feel with your hands under bushes for loose soil, look under pavers and spots that might be warmer.
You can try leaving out a shallow dish of water and food, but if it is cold, your tort may not be too interested.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum...

How do you know it was an escape? Did you find the breach or do you suspect she isgone? Is the enclosure covered in bushes..shrubs..trees and the like? If so you will want to get down on your hands and knees and dig around as these guys are great at digging in and being hidden...especially this time of year....if she dug in somewhere itwill be tricky to find her.....I also would take a walk around to any sunny spots in the am....maybe put out some fav treats....

Gosh I wish the best for you in finding your tort.....

LindaF

5 Year Member
Make sure you check with Animal control. Also, a notice at near by vet offices and pet stores. I wish you the best. Losing a pet is tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.