Help maintaining humidity

liwei

Location (City and/or State)
michigan
Hi I'm fairly new to this forum but I really need advice on how to maintain humidity in this wooden enclosure I have. My dad made this enclosure out of an old book case and I'm having a really hard time maintaining a humidity higher than 50%. I've tried adding more coco coir to make the substrate wetter as well as weatherstripping the sides of the door to prevent heat and moisture to escape. Is there anyway to maintain a higher humidity in this enclosure or should I look into a new one? I would prefer to modify the one I have right now as my dad spent time in making the enclosure and I feel guilty if I trashed it away...
Additional info:
basking temp: 95-100
cool side: 80-85
humidity: 50%

IMG_4878.JPG IMG_4879.JPG

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Wow, I'm surprised that enclosure does not hold humidity. It looks VERY well sealed. Let's call @Tom ,he knows a lot about closed chambers.

One question about the enclosure: is it always that dark in there, or are the lights just off?

mark109r

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
you might try putting some potted plants in with them. Even artificial plants will help if you mist them a couple times a day and get them good and wet. Spider plants work well and are safe for the tortoises, you can leave them in their pots and place a couple in the enclosure. keep them watered and misted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pour a pitcher full of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand until all the substrate is wet. The light will dry out the top layer and the heat causes the moisture to come up and make the air humid.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
If it's possible it would be a bit better if the lights were inside the chamber and the chamber sealed above them, though this might bring them too low.
Trouble is above it like that they tend to sort of suck up all the heat and humidity into the area under the tin foil.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
If it is sealed up as good as it looks, I would suggest you reduce the mulch and use mostly coco coir. mulch holds very little moisture. Some of us on this forum use 2 to 3 " of coco coir with nothing else. Others put mulch on top or orchid bark or similar. Try using 2" of coco and get it soaking wet. My enclosures are not sealed up tight like yours. In fact they have vents and the glass doors are about 1/2" away from the enclosure and I can hold 90% humidity for at least a week before having to add water. As Yvonne suggested - literally pour a pitcher of water in there. Coco can absorb a tremendous amount of water.

liwei

michigan
Thanks for all the advice! i'll try to buy some plants as well as more coco coir when i get home. I'll also post a better picture hopefully soon.

liwei

michigan
Ive added two plants from my local nursery as well as mixed the coco coir with more water (almost 2 pitchers full). Thanks again for the advice, the humidity in the picture says 46% but it's increasing as I'm typing this reply! Currently 60% and increasing! hopefully it'll reach around 80% as the day progresses.

Also it turns out there was a small leak/space between where my dad stapled two pieces of wood, I sealed it up with weatherstrips and it seems to be working.

Attachments

• IMG_4887.JPG
    IMG_4887.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Be very careful with plants from local nurseries. They are invariably treated with herbicides , pesticides etc and cannot be put in with your tortoise unless you are 100% certain they are safe.
Remember warm and moist = good, cold and damp = dangerous.

liwei

michigan
Be very careful with plants from local nurseries. They are invariably treated with herbicides , pesticides etc and cannot be put in with your tortoise unless you are 100% certain they are safe.
Remember warm and moist = good, cold and damp = dangerous.

I asked the employee and they said they only use fertilizer but thanks for the heads up i'll see about repotting them into a bigger pot so my tortoise won't be able to reach it or remove it all together

Last edited: